Thread: Bill of Materials

Thanks

Bill of Materials

Hi All,
    Im pretty new to pastel xpress v11 and as far as i know you cannot add on module for bill of materials.
    I am working for a manufacturing company that manufactures kitchen units. So would therefore need bill of materials module.
    Is there anyway that I can calculate using a bill of materials on excel and then manually adjust in pastel after every monthly manual inventory valuation?
    I am just so confused i don't know where to start.

I would have raw materials in my inventory (showing stock purchased from supplier - IN) and Finished stock being billed to the customer (only showing going OUT) How do i implement this?

Also we provide a powder coating service so i would buy stock from supplier and then powder coat as a service.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hi Jackie

If you want to do it the raws / finished goods way then you can use your excel worksheet as the basis for a journal entry.

I gather right now your purchases results in a debit to raw materials and a credit to creditors, while your sale results in a debit to debtors and a credit to sales?

What is missing is a transfer between raws and finished goods and a transfer from finished goods to cost of sales.

If you don’t really hold finished goods in stock for resale, then you are only missing a debit to cost of sales and a credit to raw materials.

You can use your excel worksheet to be the basis for the journal entry.

Most folk in that field would debit all purchases directly to cost of sales and then at the end of each reporting period adjust raws stock to what is actually on hand, and debit or credit cost of sales.

If your company uses something like Kitchen Draw or similar, it most likely provides you with a pretty accurate cutting and component list? If so, it would provide a really good basis for standard cost per manufacture.

A bill of materials setup is only really going to give value if you require variance reporting.

Thanks
    We use Simply Accounting (previously AccPac) for manufacturing bill of materials. It's well suited to this type of application.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is upgrading to a version of Pastel that has a bill of materials module not worth the money?

There are few things more frustrating than doing a job with the wrong tool, especially when the right tool is going to be used all the time and the cost of the right tool is not really that expensive.

Thanks
    Jackie, can you send me the serial number of your Pastel Xpress system and I will send you a quote to upgrade to Pastel Partner with the Bills of Materials module.

Now is the time to upgrade, as Pastel's annual price increase is effective on 1 October.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Thanks
    Hi Jackie.
    It will be best if you change over to a program that includes a BOM. Reason if you want to do it with excel then you will have to do your own costing also taking into account stock that is already manufactured. You will also have to do a lot of stock adjustments - adding your new manufactured product and subtracting all the items used. This can be a lot of work, prone to errors.

Thanks
    You can try out this free solution to manage your BOM, and it supports import & export your BOMs to Excel Spreadsheet.