Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firearm at work

Thanks

Firearm at work

I would like to know if the labour law stipulates rules about having a firearm while at your normal place of work. Do I need to tell my boss that I'm bringing my own personal firearm to work? I did mention to her that once I have received my licence, I would like to have the pistol with me (for security basically as I live outside of PE and have to travel with my kids..). I cannot leave it in the car, as I don't have a safe in my car. I need to carry it with me. She said that she would need to get confirmation from all employees that this is ok with them... what the frikkadel? I don't think involving everyone is a good idea/ nor neccessary?
    always fear when Christel is near....

Thanks
    I stand to correction here but as far as I am aware there is nothing in the labour law that prohibits this, I would however recommend that you obtain your employers written permission to do so all the same. As for obtaining permission from the rest of the staff, quite frankly as long as you won't be whipping your firearm out at every opportunity and scaring your colleagues I don't see how it is any business of theirs anyway -besides the last thing you need is to possibly have your firearm pinched when you go to the loo. I certainly look forward to other forum members input on this one.
    "If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you."

3. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (28-Aug-12)

Suspended
    Thanks
    I'm also not sure about the law, but really dont think you need any other "employees" permission to carry your firearm. You have a licence for it which entitles you to carry it concealed. I would tho advise that you tell your boss that you do carry it out of respect. I would never brandish it around because the good old golden rule - if you draw your weapon, you use it - so no need to ever take it out unless you really need to and when you put it in a safe place at home or in a safe !

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Actually it comes down to the rules and regulations set by the company you work at. If they don’t have a policy or rule about fire-arms then all you need to do is to follow the fire arm laws and regulation.

If your firearm is legal then you have the legal right to have it with you. Unless it is specified by the company/business that it is a no firearm zone.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

6. Thanks given for this post:

KimH (28-Aug-12)

Thanks
    If they are not happy with it being on your person at work - could you not put it in the work safe when you arrive in the morning and remove it at the end of the day? Don't know what the legal implications of that would be with respect to "entrusting" it to their care ...
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

8. Thanks given for this post:

KimH (28-Aug-12)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Some of the companies i work at, have a no firearm policy, i hand it it for safe keeping at security. If they are not happy with you carrying it on you while at work, which sometimes becomes a real pain in the butt, why not suggest to have a safe fitted, at work at your cost.

So long as you dont carry on like Denny Crane form boston leagal and shoot people whenever you feel like it, i dont see why there would be a problem.

Thanks
    ha ha @ the Denny Crane reference, the episode where he blitzed the guys in the boardroom with his paint ball gun was my favourite!!
    "If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you."

Thanks
    Thanks for all the feedback. Firstly, we are an accounting firm in PE - we are only 14 staff members, all of which are females. I thought to bring it to work also as protection for us... so putting it in a safe at work, won't really be ideal for me. We don't have a firearm policy. I would definatley tell my boss, but I don't want her to involve the rest of the staff... my feeling would be the less people know about it, the better it would be. The firearm law states that I can carry it in a backpack - so I was thinking of putting it in my laptop backpack in my cupboard, behind my desk in my office. I'm sure this way it should be safe and should I need to go out, I'll have to take it with me / or alternatively then put it in a safe.
    always fear when Christel is near....

Suspended
    Thanks
    Just remember if the cupboard is broken into or not lockable you are the one responsible if it goes missing. I really would recomend you putting in a safe at your cost ..... perhaps one with a 4 digit code that is easy to open if ever you need to get to it in an emergency. The law will come down hard on you if the firearm ever goes missing. And I tend to agree with the law - I am a firearm owner myself, but am strict about the gun - it is either with me at ALL times or locked in the safe for the other time.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    @Kevinb - Agreed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast