Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is wealth?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    So here is a question: would you consider a Tibetan monk living a chosen life of poverty to be wealthy?

Suspended
    Thanks
    No - I would not, but what I am saying is monetary wealth does not always bring happiness as much as we all work to it and aspire to it or being comfortable - be that whatever it might be in your personal view.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    In my opinion happiness, contentment and wealth are not directly related.

I am not wealthy or happy but I am content. I am content because I know that I am doing the best that I can under the circumstance. I am not particularly happy becuase I am not yet satisfied with my lifestyle. I am not wealthy because I have to count my pennies.

So, if we are speaking about pure wealth then no, the monk is not wealthy, if we are speaking about contentment then the monk is content and I cannot say whether he is happy or sad.

I want lots and lots of wealth. The object of the game is not to have money, the object is to have freedom, wealth buys freedom. The freedom to do the things that make me happy.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Yes sure - if you look at it that way. But if you are poor you certainly wont be happy, and if you are wealthy you could also not be happy.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    One can be poor and happy. Religion teaches exactly that. I think the problem is that we tend to measure happiness and wealth via social standing.

Some might feel poor if they had to drive a secondhand car (living in Sandton surrounded by new Merc's and BMs) and some feel wealthy if the have donkey cart (living in a tiny little fishing villiage)

If I look at the people in my life then I am wealthy in certain ways and poor in others. I think the trick is to find your own measure and forget about comparing yourself to others. If I compare myself to my Zimbabwean employees then I am fabulously wealthy (I am paying off a house every month and I own a beat up car) but on the other hand if I compare myself to my banker brother then I am dirt poor (I don't have a couple of million rand in reserve for a rainy day)

The flaw does not lie in whether one has material wealth or not, the flaw lies in how we attach value to that wealth. Is a Blackberry phone valuable and to be treasured, maybe not to me or you but to my daughter it is the most valuable thing in her life...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The original post was about the fed up rich guy wanting to start over. Money and status does not guarantee happiness. If your personality is built on the Gucci suit, BMW and house in Sandton, you will lose everything, including your identity when the sh!# hits the fan.

You are a unique person. There is only one of you. So why do you want to imitate someone else? Just be yourself. Play the cards that you have been dealt and try to leave this planet in a better state than you have found it. Hard call, but worth the try!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Suspended
    Thanks
    When I mentioned poor - I was not talking about the "average" person that has less than the wealthy wealthy - I am talking about the real poor people - the people that do not have home, the orphans that have been left with nothing and perhaps dont have any sort of guidance to try to make a go of it - those are the poor people I am talking about - You certainly cannot be happy having to beg for your next meal ! So therefore you cannot always be poor and happy !

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    You can be poor and happy. If you are a person living in Zambia out in the middle of nowhere and all you know is your subsistance farming life then you can be happy.

The problem is that we measure the state of being poor through our own value system. Being happy is not a function of wealth. One can be happy under any circumstance because being happy is a state of mind whereas being poor is a measure of wealth.

Maybe I just see the world differently to other people....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Lord, please help my neighbours to stop buying the things I can not afford...
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Suspended
    Thanks
    And that is also not what I was talking about adrian and I think you know that but - Yep you do see things different.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast