Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimum force being used.....the more things change the more they stay the same...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Diamond Member
    Thanks

Minimum force being used.....the more things change the more they stay the same...

Silver Member
    Thanks
    So what are you tying to say Adrian? Have you been in a riot, have you experiences what thousands of people are capable of doing, do you know what they do, do you onow if they got firearms? Have you considered the fact taht more than 500 policeman were killed in the line of duty last year alone? I'm a police reservist and unlike you I have been in these situations, I have been shot at, attacked an what not! When you experience that I'm sure you will remove your snotty opinion! It is very easy to judge for you, but I'd love to see you in their shoes, I guarantee that your underwear will change colors, so please next time think before you amake such comments especially when you haven't got a clue of what's going on!
    ---There is no traffic at the extra mile---

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    What I am trying to say is that the police murdered those people. There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever. I am sick and tired of people justifying blatant stupidity, the whole lot of them should be locked up.

And by the way; I couldn't care less whether you are a police reservest or whether you are Jesus Christ himself, you have no right to call my opinion 'snotty'. I have the right to express my opinion without being personally attacked by you. I have zero regard for the judgement of the police force and their cohorts especially when they overreact and make sh1t and then justify their terrible actions while sitting right up on their high horse.

If you think that insulting me is going to make me have more respect for the police or police reservests then you are sadly mistaken. Your insults only add to the disgust that I feel for those who are supposed to protect us.

Let me just state my opinion clearly for the record; the police put themselves in a position where they got cornered, they were threatned and overreacted and ended up shooting a number of men to death. The shooting occured due to their INCOMPETENCE

so please next time think before you amake such comments especially when you haven't got a clue of what's going on!
    My friend, let me spell it out for you I - N - C - O - M - P - E - T - E - N - C - E

....please let me know if I should make it bold and put it in a bigger size....

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    People riot. They do this all over the World. They riot violently.
    There are certain rules that bind the State in these situations. They do NOT include a "kill or be killed" culture/approach, as bad as things might be. The Sate is NEVER AT WAR with rioters. It has to bring the riot under control -- not win a war. This is because the State is obliged to protect a citizen's right to life, even if that citizen is a criminal --- serial murderer ....

It is this simple (if matters involving death can be simple): ---
    1. killing is only justified if unavoidable;
    2. Killing is NOT a form of riot control.

Looking at the video footage where a whole group are mowed down with gunfire these sacred tests are obviously NOT met in that -
    a) the police are not in formation to meet a charge by rioters; (charging is pretty standard for rioters)
    b) apart from some head protection they are not in full riot gear;
    c) in particular they are NOT equipped with anti-riot shields, absolutely essential for dealing with armed rioters;
    d) when the rioters charge it is met instantly with "deadly force";
    e) e.g, the first volley of gun fire should have been directed ahead of the rioters so as to force them to desist;
    f) even when the rioters where fired on a question arises as to whether or not fire was directed so as to wound, and not kill, i.e, directed at lower parts of the body?

It is pertinent to point out that the police had already fatally disadvantaged themselves when a policy decision was taken before, NOT to use rubber bullets.
    This mind boggling decision means that the ONLY bullets that then could be used were lead bullets that are designed to KILL NOT STOP/WOUND!!!!

Presumably the new Police Commissioner reviewed and approved of this idiotic policy decision.

What happened is the culmination of a long saga of incompetence and very bad macro management culture. I had protested the appointment of Bheke Cele; i had protested his "shoot to kill" culture; I had protested the militarization" of the police force; I had protested Phiyega being appointed on a "cadre deployed" basis. I was condemned by just about everyone as a ranting fool.
    Let us have the conversation!
    Blog: http://coginito.blogspot.com Cognito ergo sum

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Chris asks that his points are argued. So let's have a look:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNG53 View Post
    a) the police are not in formation to meet a charge by rioters; (charging is pretty standard for rioters)
    Their formation was one of the things that struck me. They were in a very tight formation.

Tight formations are fine for unarmed rioters, but I'd suggest they were too tightly formed up to meet an armed assault.

Why was that group there?
    Why were they formed up that way?
    Bearing in mind that this was just one part of the total deployment, what was the overall strategic plan?

c) in particular they are NOT equipped with anti-riot shields, absolutely essential for dealing with armed rioters;
    Anti-riot shields are not bullet proof.

d) when the rioters charge it is met instantly with "deadly force";
    e) e.g, the first volley of gun fire should have been directed ahead of the rioters so as to force them to desist;
    f) even when the rioters where fired on a question arises as to whether or not fire was directed so as to wound, and not kill, i.e, directed at lower parts of the body?
    If you look closely, there is a heck of a lot of fire going to the ground before the charging rioters. Possibly even the majority of fire. The bad news is bullets don't just stop when they hit the ground at that sort of shallow angle.

It is pertinent to point out that the police had already fatally disadvantaged themselves when a policy decision was taken before, NOT to use rubber bullets.
    Apparently the first shots fired by the police were rubber bullets, so some portion of the line was armed with rubber bullets. What I find extraordinary was just how few were armed with rubber bullets - quite clearly the vast majority of the police line was armed with sharp point ammunition.

What happened is the culmination of a long saga of incompetence and very bad macro management culture.
    On that you'll get no argument from me - provided you're prepared to look beyond just the police force in saying that.

My current view is:

When it comes to the police action, while it's safe to say things went wrong (one sincerely hopes the police did not intend a massacre) and probably should have been done better, I suggest it's far too early to point fingers as to what exactly went wrong. Viewed in total isolation and without context, if you go on the original first video evidence I'd even suggest the only conclusion you could come to was justifiable self defence!

Of course the incident did not happen in isolation - it is absolutely loaded with context.

We just haven't seen all the evidence and at this point we should be asking questions, lots and lots of questions - not leaping to premature conclusions.

6. Thank given for this post:

BusFact (21-Aug-12), ChrisNG53 (21-Aug-12), tec0 (21-Aug-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kinda alone with my thoughts right now. Absolutely shocked.

8. Thanks given for this post:

ChrisNG53 (20-Aug-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This is sickening! I have to agree with Adrian that the police were incompetent in the way that they have handled the matter, which has dragged on for a week at least. However, Nikolai also has a point. You have to be in that situation to appreciate what happened. An uncontrolled mob is very hard to stop, especially when they are armed (where did they get the guns from?) and determined to kill.

They were not demonstrating, they were out to kill. They have already killed 2 policemen and 8 of their co-workers earlier in the week. It is very hard to reason or negotiate with people who do not want to listen and then resort to violence to get their way.

This is once again a reflection on our leadership, political and business leaders should take a hard look at themselves.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

10. Thanks given for this post:

ChrisNG53 (20-Aug-12)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    There is no excuse. They are supposed to protect all citizens, even if those citizens become unruly. The only term that rolls around in my head when looking at that footage is this: "It was like shooting fish in a barrel"

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    There is no excuse. They are supposed to protect all citizens, even if those citizens become unruly. The only term that rolls around in my head when looking at that footage is this: "It was like shooting fish in a barrel"
    I don't yet know all the facts in this case but a charging mob of armed strikers doesn't leave you with too many options. There is a limit to this protection. An example would be a shoot out with armed robbers.

I'm going to save my opinion for when the sequence of events becomes clearer, but there are many instances where there can indeed be excuses.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    In a perfect and civilised society this statement would be true. Unfortunately and sadly, these events have once more confirmed that we live in a 3rd world country. It has also put our country in such a bad light in the international forum. It is really sad that conflict have to be settled with violence.

I also agree to police incompetence in that the training provided to new police recruits is not what it used to be. The quality of leadership is also not what it used to be. There is however two sides to the coin. Until you have faced a mindless, barbaric mob out to kill and destroy everything in their path, it is hard to put yourself in their position.

Maybe the mine management was also to blame in how they conducted negotiations and HR in general. The strikers definitely had an agenda, but I will reserve judgement until all the facts have been investigated.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast