Thread: Travel costs when writing proposals

Email problem
    Thanks

Travel costs when writing proposals

Hi

When i started my business I started with the intention of working from my home office, and I produced my pricing structure based on this. However, I am now finding myself more and more traveling out to clients sites on projects, historically i didn't build this into my price because it was so infrequent, but now I feel it is time to start doing this.

I wondered if other consultants would mind sharing how they build in both the travel cost and the time spent travelling to clients sites. Do you build it into the hourly rate, or just add the actual cost and time as an additional item?

Thank you

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    When consulting you get paid for the job you do. Remuneration is supposed to be based on output, not input.

As a professional person or a trained technician one should assess the job and decide whether you want the work or not. When quoting for a job, take all the factors in consideration and price it up front. Both parties can then see if it is viable and whether they should proceed or not.

I just hate it when I receive an "after ward, by the way" account which was not included in the original costing. Like the attorney who wanted to charge me a "closing file fee" on top of his normal charges.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi Blurock thanks - this is what i want to do - to have clarity up front - so no nasty surprises for the client afterwards. I was just wondering whether other consultants charged for their travel time or whether you just let it go as a part of the project cost.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I never charge a client for travel, maybe I will when it is way out of town etc. I suppose a plumber or electrician have to charge a call out fee as they may chase all over town to get to a job.

I charge for my time and charge an inclusive fee for consulting or a set commission for raising finance. If the bank or finance house pays me a commission, I deduct it from the amount I charge to the client. I do sometimes (fortunately not often) fail to raise finance for a client in which case I will not get paid at all. That goes with the territory and forces me to get all the information up front to do a proper assessment.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...