this is a warning to electrical contractors and handymen who fit lights and ceiling fans with glass covers...

i have been experiencing problem with glass covers on fans and light fittings...

the most recent incident...we fitted a eurolux light fitting in a bathroom...installed connected and fitted the glass...one thing i insist on before we leave any premisies...we clean up...incuding any finger prints etc on ceiling...lights or electrical fittings we install ...as i put the cloth on the glass to wipe it clean...it just pops (the only word i coulf think of) you end up with 2 or 3 pieces in your hand...unfortunatly the lighting suppliers refuse to replace it unless you it was damaged while still in the box...so my company now has a policy...you want to supply light fittings we dont fit the glass covers anymore...only if i supply the light fittings do i fit the glass...

we installed a crompton greeves ceiling fan recently (i have installed hundreds of them) and the same issue...i fitted the fan...connected everything...put the glass cover over...made sure the rubber was installed...put 4 dabs of silicon on the rim to prevent squeeking like i always do...walked to the light switch and switched on..."pop" one piece of the glass broke out...and the rest of the glass stayed in place.

it would be fine if the suppliers backed it up their product...but they refuse and charge anything R250 and up to replace.

i fitted a bug light fitting into my daughters room...connected and switched on "BOOOOM"...the globe exploded...it was one of those eurolux maxi globe...the glass went everywhere...i am sure if this was the usa i could sue eurolux...but unfortuntely us suckers in the sa have to pay to replace the glass and globe.