A BUILDER is under investigation after a Lakeside woman was electrocuted.
The woman survived, but was hurt when the impact flung her to the floor. Lynne Longworth’s medical bills came to R22500............
..........She was showering in the ‘wet room’, when she held onto the rail for balance. She describes the shock as “so intense it rooted her to the bathroom floor”.
Longworth says she screamed for help, but adds her husband was outside and didn’t hear her cries.
Her nose was bleeding and she was “severely traumatised”.
When she eventually managed to release her grip on the rail, she says she was flung face first to the floor, sustaining injuries to her head, eye, nose, shoulder, elbow and foot. She adds she needed a tooth implant as a result of the fall.
She says the rail was switched off at the time of the incident.
The next day Longworth called out an electrical contractor who found the towel rail “had not been connected to the earth leakage system”.
She says the builder who had completed the renovations did not issue an Electrical Compliance Certificate. Longworth warns others to “insist on this when appointing any builder or electrical contractor to do work”.
She says there had been two previous incidents of electrical shocks by the rail.
“The same builder attended to both incidents, installing an earthing strap and filling the connection with silicon sealer.”
She reported the builder to the Western Cape Approved Electrical Inspection Authority (WCAEIA), which is appointed by the Department of Labour.