Thread: Doctors & Pharmacists....The big ripoff

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Doctors & Pharmacists....The big ripoff

So, I've got a bit of a nasal infection. It happens from time to time and I know the symptoms very well. I go to the pharmacy on Friday and ask the pharmacist for an anti-biotic....No no, I'm told, only on prescription, I've got to see the GP.

Ok, so I have to sit around for an hour to wait to see a guy for 5 minutes, to tell him that I need a prescription for the antibiotic that he always prescribes, then pay him R200 so that I can walk back to the pharmacy, to give them the document and then pay another R300 for the medicine.

I understand that the doctor needs to make a living and I understand that I need to see him if I want to get sleeping tablets, but come on, R 200 for 5 minutes to get what the pharmacist, the doctor, and I know I need.

Some would say, no problem, the medical aid pays...I don't have medical aid and anyway, why the hell do you think Discovery posts huge profits every year, exactly because everybody just agree to get screwed over by the medical profession.

Just imagine if the rest of the world worked the same way as the medical profession: Your tires run bald and the tyre company says that they are very sorry but they can't replace your tires unless a mechanic has given written authorization for you to be issued with tyres, then you say, well what about the brakes and they say no, you have to get seperate authorization from a brake mechanic to purchase those parts.

I think it is time that I start using my credit card on the net to purchase medicine....I'll build up a little stockpile of commonly required items.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I sometimes wonder if all those tests are necessary. Test for this, test for that, just to find out that nothing is wrong. Oh sorry, we cannot find the problem, so now you can go for a scan.

One of my clients recently spent in the region of R5000 for blood tests. This does not include the bills from the various doctors that he visited. He is a bit gullible, but should not be taken advantage of because he is concerned about his health.

I visit a doctor only if I really have to, like once in 2-3 years. Fortunately our annual medical check ups are done at the pharmacists' clinic and paid for by the medical aid.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Silver Member
    Thanks
    its a pity i'm in Durban & not Cape Town. R200 is dead cheap.Its no rip off,trust me. Its like asking an electrical engineer to make some connection between wires & watch him fumble with the screwdrivers. Then ask the electrical technician.But when the technician is asked why you make the connection, then he fumbles!! Adrian, quite honestly, the trick is to find a doctor that also dispenses.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have a very high pain threshold (maybe too high for my own good), work for myself and have no medical aid for myself, so I only go to the doctor if the blood is really flowing or the toothache reaches a point where it is just too annoying. I like my dentist, pharmacist & GP, it is just that I don't like being forced to wait around and pay for information that is common knowledge.

@flaker - I will follow up on this.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just don't need a surgical procedure. You'll flip.

My daughter had to shoot in for a little op a month ago.
    35 minutes in theatre cost more than 24 hours in a private ward (which costs more than a suite in a 5 star hotel).
    The anaesthetist cost nearly double the cost of two surgeons.

R34k for that little lot.

Suspended
    Thanks
    on occassion while waiting to go into operating theatres to work...i have stood and watched how people have to negotiate rates with anaesthetist just before they go in for an op...it is ABSOLUTLY DISGUSTING...you people should be ashamed of yourselves...(well i suppose...not really...its all about the money...all they see are 4-5 digit numbers in the bank account)...the worse part about it ...the last operation i had...i woke up on the table was pumped 3 times to try get me to calm down...before they could get me back on the table...when i woke up 5 hours later i was in so much pain that they had to keep injecting me to assist with the pain...for days after the op...they have still to this day 12 years later...never been able to fix the injury...i am told that they would rather just leave it because if they try fix it...i could loose total use of my arm...sometimes i wonder....and i know of numerous people who have had the same experience...waking up while being operated on...could it be if you negotiate they put less drugs...saving a few bob...cause i am still confused as to why they charge so much...the normal story is that doctors have to study for xxx years hence the ridiculous rates...so do anaethist study for 300 - 600 % longer than surgeons and other doctors...pity you cant sue them for waking up...think about it...if you wake up they didnt do their job properly.
    Last edited by murdock; 22-Jul-12 at 07:16 AM.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    (which costs more than a suite in a 5 star hotel)
    and have you taken a good look around...seen the shocking condition of the toilets and general maintenance of the buildings...one thing i must say is the food has improved but certainly not to an acceptable standard...in comparison to what you pay for it