So, I've got a bit of a nasal infection. It happens from time to time and I know the symptoms very well. I go to the pharmacy on Friday and ask the pharmacist for an anti-biotic....No no, I'm told, only on prescription, I've got to see the GP.

Ok, so I have to sit around for an hour to wait to see a guy for 5 minutes, to tell him that I need a prescription for the antibiotic that he always prescribes, then pay him R200 so that I can walk back to the pharmacy, to give them the document and then pay another R300 for the medicine.

I understand that the doctor needs to make a living and I understand that I need to see him if I want to get sleeping tablets, but come on, R 200 for 5 minutes to get what the pharmacist, the doctor, and I know I need.

Some would say, no problem, the medical aid pays...I don't have medical aid and anyway, why the hell do you think Discovery posts huge profits every year, exactly because everybody just agree to get screwed over by the medical profession.

Just imagine if the rest of the world worked the same way as the medical profession: Your tires run bald and the tyre company says that they are very sorry but they can't replace your tires unless a mechanic has given written authorization for you to be issued with tyres, then you say, well what about the brakes and they say no, you have to get seperate authorization from a brake mechanic to purchase those parts.

I think it is time that I start using my credit card on the net to purchase medicine....I'll build up a little stockpile of commonly required items.