Really good articke by fin24

A Fin24 user asks:*

I am 81 years old and my wife is 73. Ill health has caught up with both of us. We need to augment our income with help from the government. What qualifies us for old age pensions?*

The South African Government Services responds:*

You can get an older persons grant to see you through your old age.*

An older persons grant is paid to women who are 60 years or older and men who are 60 years or older. To qualify, you must be a South African citizen or a permanent resident.*

You must live in South Africa, not be receiving any other social grant for yourself and not be cared for in a state institution.*

In addition, you should not earn more than R47 400 per year or own assets worth more than R 792 000 if you are single.*

If you are married, your combined income must not be more than R94 800 per year and you and your spouse must not have assets worth more than R 1 584 000.*

The maximum amount that you will be paid is R1 200 per month. If you are older than 75 years, you will get R 1 200 plus R20.*

The South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) will pay the grant to you through cash at a specific pay point on a particular day, or deposit money electronically into your bank or Postbank account (the bank may charge you for the service).*

If you are unable to collect the money yourself, you can appoint a procurator at the Sassa office, or give someone power of attorney to collect the grant on your behalf.*

When you go to the Sassa office nearest to where you live, bring your 13-digit barcoded identity document (ID).*

If you don't have an ID, you must complete an affidavit on a standard Sassa form in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who is not a Sassa official.*

You must bring a sworn statement signed by a reputable person (like a councillor, traditional leader, social worker, minister of religion or school principal) who can verify your name and age.**

Sassa officials will take your fingerprints. You will be referred to the department of home affairs to apply for an ID document even as your application is processed. If you don't get an ID, your grant will be suspended.*

You need to have proof of your marital status (if applicable), residence,* income or dividends (if any), assets including the value of the property you own, private pension (if any), and a three months' bank statement.*

In addition, if you are employed you need your Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) "blue book" or discharge certificate from your previous employer and if your spouse died within the last five years, a copy of the will and the first and final liquidation and distribution accounts where applicable.*

Please note that if you are too old or sick to travel to the office to apply, a family member or friend can do so on your behalf.*

The person should take a letter from you or a doctor's note saying why you cannot visit the office and complete the application form in the presence of a Sassa officer (note that only you as the applicant or a Sassa official can complete the application form).*

The officer will interview you and tell you if you qualify for the grant.*

*- Fin24

Do you have enough to retire, how much would you have when you retire, what are the tax implications, how about your corporate benefits fringe benefit tax from next year? If you are unsure you are more than welcome to PM me.