Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wiremen license where how?

Thanks

wiremen license where how?

hi guys great forum you have here! kyles the name im from jhb

im so clueless when it comes to the laws in this country of ours lol

pls help me with the following how to i obtain a wiremen license?

whats the cost? and can i issue coc`s there after??

many thanks!

Email problem
    Thanks
    You need 5 years uninterrupted experience to qualify to do your trade test.

Thanks
    I disagree with Mojakoki's response. In order for you to obtain your wiremans license there are various options that one can apply under. Each option has several requirements which you would need to pass. The most common one is: Completed a Trade Test, Complete at least an N3 theory, Pass the Installations Rules exam, Pass the Unit Standards course. All in all this could take you up to 5 years if you're starting from scratch. In my case I have completed everything but am still waiting from ESETA to issue me with the Unit Standards letter which has taken 6 months now. The cost of everything from start to finish is probably in the region R50k. I know its a joke!!

4. Thanks given for this post:

Thanks

Dept of Labour says:

Hi guys,

according to the Occupational Health and Safety act of 1993 (as amended) Registration as a Registered Person.

Note: Not wiremans, not accredited, but a registered person. Although Wiremens License is still widely accepted.

There are three options/routes to obtain accreditation.
    Trade Test in following disciplines only -
    --Electrician
    --Electrician Engineering
    --Electrician Construction
    --Electrician Electro Mechanical
    --Lift Mechanic

Presuming no one wants to become a single phase tester i'll skip right to to Installation Electrician.

2. INSTALLATION ELECTRICIAN

OPTION 1

2.1 A candidate must:

2.1.1 Minimum Integrated Practical and Theoretical Qualification

(a) Achieved a National Certificate in Electrical Engineering: NQF level 4 issued by the ESETA.

(b) Submit documentary proof of successful completed unit standards on inspection, testing and certification of three phase industrial/commercial installations as prescribed by the ESETA.

2.1.2 Knowledge of Statutory Requirements

Submit proof of knowledge on the legislation and relevant health and safety standards applicable to electrical installations by having passed the subject Installation Rules as administered by the Department of Education.

OPTION 2

2.2 A candidate must:

2.2.1 Practical Qualification

(a) Submit proof of having passed the prescribed trade test in terms of the Manpower Training Act of 1981 in one of the following trade disciplines:

• Electrician

• Electrician (Engineering)

• Electrician (Construction)

• Millwright (Electro-mechanical)

• Lift Mechanic

(b) Submit documentary proof of successful completed unit standards on inspection, testing and certification of three phase industrial/commercial installations as prescribed by the ESETA.

2.2.2 Minimum Theoretical Qualification

(a) National N3 Certificate with the following compulsory subjects:

• Mathematics
    • Engineering Science
    • Electrical Trade Theory or Electro-technology

Or

(b) Grade 12 (Standard 10) Certificate

• Mathematics
    • Science
    • Technica - electrical or an equivalent subject that may include a N3 subject)

Note 1: The candidate must pass each subject with a minimum of 40%.

Note 2: These minimum theoretical subjects could be a combination of Grade 12 and N3 subjects.

2.2.3 Knowledge of Statutory Requirements

Submit proof of knowledge on the legislation and relevant health and safety standards applicable to electrical installations by having passed the subject Installation Rules as administered by the Department of Education.

OPTION 3

2.3 A candidate must:

2.3.1 Theoretical Qualification

(a) Submit a Diploma or Degree in Electrical Engineering:

• T3 Diploma (Heavy Current)

• S4 Diploma (Power Engineering)

• B-Tech Degree

• BSc or B Degree

• Government Certificate of Competency (Factories or Mines)

2.3.2 Knowledge of Statutory Requirements

Source : OHS 3/1/5/7/9

I reckon it could cost well in excess of R50k if one would try gun it alone. Best route i would suggest would be to find an apprenticeship, and not a promise as they are always empty!! and you could be a year or two into your trade and still not be registered and your training would count for nothing.

Best of luck to the well informed.

God speed

Thanks
    One amendment to follow soon will be the ESETA bit. It is now EWSETA, Energy and water. Could explain why your Portfolio hasn't been examined yet BlueArc. I submitted my Portfolio to my local ECA where i did my Unit Standards and they sent it on to EWSETA and i had my certificate in my hands two weeks later. There is no reason things should take so long if you follow the right channels i believe.

Thanks
    BlueArc, i agree. It is a very expensive and poorly managed system in place at the moment! I am writing my Regs end of the month, and then will need to do my 3ph inspect and test course. All i can find on the net is a company in Germiston offering the course for R7000 odd! I think i might be able to go to Cape Town to do this course as well, i need to do a bit more research. You are correct in saying there are different ways to obtain your wiremans licence. I tried to post a comment last nite to the link, but i am guessing you cannot post links in here, as my reply wasnt posted at all.
    So, if you are still struggling to figure it out (kyle.dion), pm me and i will send you the pdf file that explains it all.
    BlueArc, why are you still waiting after 6 months?!
    I thought that you go to an ESETA accredited college and do your assessment and then they give you your results and you can straight away send those off to the dept of Labour for evaluation (with the other fist full of docs needed), and then you just need to register with ECBSA??
    As for things taking forever in this wonderful country of ours....unfortunately it is a sign of the times!
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Jacechop, u beat me to it. Haha! Yes, i have the same answer in pdf format.
    Wouldnt we all like to know what the "right channels" are though?
    The internet is not that easy to navigate when it comes to the electrical industry in SA.
    I spent hours on the phone the other week to try and figure out the correct process to follow to go from qualified sparky (appieship and N-levels passed) to wireman/registered person.
    Unfortunately, it was a waste of time phoning the ECBSA as they told me to phone the Dept of Labour, who then told me that i needed to phone the ECBSA!!
    After a lot of to-and-fro-ing all over the place, i ended up with 2 direct line numbers to guys at the Dept of Labour in Cape Town, and i tried them both and got disconnected before the phone could even ring on both accounts!
    I then ended up phoning a college in PE, and the woman was very helpful, and told me the exact process to follow.
    Unfortunately, they only offer the 3ph Inspect & Test assessment 1 day course, and not the training.
    Anyone know of anywhere close to the Garden Route, and how much this course would cost?
    Obviously this can only follow the passed Regs exams, which are up in a few weeks...fingers crossed...

Thanks
    I'm short one last thing which i write on the 20th and 30th of this month then my head ache is over until next year when i do masters. However i think it would be an advantage to contact your local ECA, Durban has such great guys to contact namely Mr B Bilton, Mr I Mee, and others. Some only 'contract to the ECA on occasion but i'm sure If u called your local ones you'd find some skilled chaps to assist you there. THe alternative, not far from our new King Sharka air port is a training institute run by the Sugar mill. Shukela training centre in Mt Edgecombe does Unit Ssandards but does not offer installation rules. There are guys that offer classes via word of mouth only, hence nothing online. Nothing sinister there, they do it that way to keep the numbers down. People come from JHB to attend classes in DBN thats how effective that form of media is.

Thanks
    Yeah, the 20th and 31st i think it is.
    You also writing your Regs exams? On those dates anyways...
    Unfortunately, contacting my local ECA has not been the most rewarding so far!
    I will persue things further once i have my regs in the bag.
    3ph Inspect & Test.
    Baby steps....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deejaypsy View Post
    Yeah, the 20th and 31st i think it is.
    You also writing your Regs exams? On those dates anyways...
    Unfortunately, contacting my local ECA has not been the most rewarding so far!
    I will persue things further once i have my regs in the bag.
    3ph Inspect & Test.
    Baby steps....
    I did my unit standards in 2010 and am only now doing my Regs. Are you writing then to? i'm sure its the 30th, i put my leave in for those days.,.,.ahhahaha.. I guess my exam permit will know for sure when my college hands it over.

CAll the Durbs branch of the ECA and chat to a lady named Rasheka. She'll hook you up!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast