Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wiremen license where how?

Thanks
    Hi Guys
    I just found out this morning that my unit standards letter was only posted last week!!!! I cannot believe the ECA in Cape Town. EWSETA is a total and utter stuff up with trying to get hold of the people to find out what the actual story is. I am told that ALL "results" are sent to ONE person - Petrenela - and then she sorts out the letters and posts them back to the ECA or other training centres in SA. Guys if you are about to do your Unit Standards course make sure you phone everyday as they are not prepared to do their job.
    DON'T just wait. I also found out that the EWSETA was placed under government administration as there were too many problmes...how's that for this country hahaha

Thanks
    Deejaypsy the ECA in Cape Town does a week course in 3Ph unit standards. It's quite nice as you get to do lots of practicle and the lecturer is really good. The price is R3500 for the week but you need to bring your own testing meters. After the course you have 3 months to get your practicle portfolio together which consists of a whole lot of COC's, reports, and other docs. Then you go back to the ECA and the lecturer goes through it and that's it. Hopefully after another 3 months you get your letter...It is flipping waste of time waiting for so long for a letter.

Thanks
    Hey Jacechop,
    20th July - Paper I
    31st July - Paper II
    Thanx for the heads up on the ECA. Will give them a call in Durbs when the time comes.
    Good luck for the Regs exams.
    Damned hard. Are you doing the revision course at a college or just studying alone??

Thanks
    Thanks Deejaypsy

I'm doing it through a guy who gives lectures in Durban. Really good course, but just lots of traveling for me. Best of luck to us all who are walking this road. Its not as easy as it once was. To do it along with your trade test as my father did. Or before the Unit Standards system was introduced. Any rate, we find our selves in this country. We are not allowed open book exams and we must neither complain nor yell for the people who hear us will slow down the process.

Thanks
    hi guys sorry for the late reply.... thanks for all the help!!

i mange to find a place near west gate that seems to know whats cutting.... they inform me that their is 11 requirements for a wiremen`s(installation electrician)

please confirm! below is the requirements as well as prices

11 REQUIREMENTS FOR WIREMAN'S LICENSE

SUBJECT "COURSE
    PRICE" "BOOK
    PRICE" TOTAL "FINAL
    TOTAL" "TICK
    IF DONE"

N3 MATHS R2,950 N1 = R200
    N2 = R200
    N3 = R200

N3 SCIENCE R2,950 N1 = R200
    N2 = R200
    N3 = R230

"N3 TRADE
    THEORY" R2,950 N1 = R150
    N2 = R150
    N3 = R150

"INSTALLATION
    RULES P1" R3,950 10142-1 = R440
    10198-1 = R75
    10198-2 = R150
    10292:01 = R175
    OHSACT = R150

"INSTALLATION
    RULES P2" R3,950 10142-1 = R440
    1973-2 = R150

"PRACTICAL
    INSTALLATION MODULES
    SINGLE " R4,950 10142-1 = R440

"PRACTICAL
    INSTALLATION MODULES
    THREE PHASE" R4,950 10142-1 = R440

"PRACTICAL
    MOTOR STARTERS AND CONTACTORS" R4,950 N/A

"3- PHASE UNIT
    STANDARDS 13683 & 259197" R6 950 N/A

"IN SERVICE
    TRAINING WORK
    EXPERIENCE" N/A N/A

"TRADE TEST
    PREPERATION AND TEST" N/A N/A

TOTAL

Thanks
    I am guessing that the Installation Papers I,II total price includes the course in order to pass them?? The actual exams are only R250 each, and most colleges where you book to write the exams, will give u a student number. If you take this to SABS, they will issue you the books at half price!
    As for the Motor Starters and Contactors, i am guessing this is a new addition to the apprenticeship? I have never heard of this one, but i did pass my trade test back in 1999...
    What a bl***y expensive process to go thru nowadays!!
    This lot is costing you over R40k at the end of the day!!!
    Thank God for apprenticeships back in my day. My boss had to pay for everything to get me qualified, and although the process was a lot simpler, it still wasnt cheap. But this is unreal!
    And from what i hear it is a lottery finding a company that will take you on for an apprenticeship now, and even if they do, you run the risk of them using you for cheap labour, and backing out before you're done, and then you're practically back to square one!
    I reiterate my previous comments...I fear for the industry in this country!
    We're gonna be left with no decent, fully qualified, registered electricians in a decade or so's time!!
    My advice is to head for the UK if you can. Great money, a MUCH simpler process. Possibility of getting an apprenticeship much better. The entire electrical system is very standardised, and works properly. People on the other end of the phones extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
    Only thing you're missing is the weather i'm afraid!
    I understand why SA makes it harder for Saffa's to go overseas to work. But then why oh why complicate the system to such an extent at home?? And make it practically unaffordable to the average youngster wanting to become a sparks?
    Will it get better? I hope so, but cant see that happening any time soon...
    8(

Thanks
    im lucky i`m almost at the end of my 5 year internship so the company i work for will be paying

but yes its very sad that we wont have any of those old school dudes that knows everything left!! i see people leave here with degrees and know very little on the practical side of things!

as for our country eish lets not go there the people in most of the collages know nothing!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle.deon View Post
    im lucky i`m almost at the end of my 5 year internship so the company i work for will be paying

but yes its very sad that we wont have any of those old school dudes that knows everything left!! i see people leave here with degrees and know very little on the practical side of things!

as for our country eish lets not go there the people in most of the collages know nothing!

Hi there,

Are you aware there are two ways to qualify? Judging by your 'internship' this could count towards section 28 trade test, which is based largely on RPL, Recognition of prior learning. I think they are assuming you would want to do a section 13 trade test which would include the modules and that N2 being the minimum for this. That said it does not suffice the minimum requirements for Registration as a registered person.

Besta luck

Thanks
    thanks a lot i forgot about getting my trade test this way...... one question though is there any difference in getting a section 28 and section 13?

Thanks
    There is really any difference in the end which "section" you fall under. As decribed in earlier posts Section 28 is for folks that have been working in the trade for more than 5 years and can demostrate the set of skills to the examiner. The section 13 is for people that have gone through and apprenticeship and done the modules and exams. The result is the same just a different path to get there.
    From what it looks like are you wanting to start from the bottom? If you are best of luck and if you need help along the way this is the best place to find it. It has certainly helped me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast