Thread: The future of South Africa?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

The future of South Africa?

I CAN predict when SA’s "Tunisia Day" will arrive. Tunisia Day is when the masses rise against the powers that be, as happened recently in Tunisia. The year will be 2020, give or take a couple of years. The year 2020 is when China estimates that its current minerals-intensive industrialisation phase will be concluded.
    Moeletsi Mbeki, author of Architects of Poverty.
    Why do I support this viewpoint?

Well, only 4.7 million taxpayers support a population of 50 million. This is not economically sustainable. the 4.7 million tax payers are made up of a number of professional people who will retire in the next 5-10 years. Have you noticed how old your average doctor, dentist or pharmacist is? The youngsters are/have emigrated because they could not get jobs in South Africa.

BEE is raping South Africa's resources and intellectual capital and is forcing an exodus of brains and capital.

"... half of the country’s professors and associate professors were retiring within the next ten years, and not enough has been done to adequately prepare for their replacement." Speaking at the 14th National Science and Technology Forum (NSTF)/ BHP Billiton Awards gala dinner, in Kempton Park, on Thursday, Science and Technology Minister Naledi Pandor said that strategies need to be developed to “respond to this potential loss of skilled professionals”.

The average age of a toolmaker is 54. The National Dept of Science and Technology and Dept of Education has realised the crises and is is trying to encourage a revitalisation of apprenticeships. A toolmaker can potentially create 14 jobs. These also include sales and services.

These are not the only skills that we have lost or are losing. As these people retire or leave formal employment, their retirement income will be less and they will not be as active economically. The result will be a decline in the tax base for a growing population. In contrast, further population growth is encouraged by the social grant system which will cause more stress on the financial system, while producing less.

With more demand on resources and a declining tax base as a percentage of the population, this is a recipe for disaster. I truly hope that I am wrong and that we will find a solution to save this beloved country of ours. The answer may well lie in a new leadership and a greater patriotism.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

2. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (25-Jun-12)

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.