Hey guys.
Thanx for a brilliant forum.
Have been browsing after a google search directed me here for info on past papers for the installation rules exam.
Wow!
I cannot believe how much info you have to remember in order to pass this exam nowadays. When i qualified in 2000, i travelled overseas to the UK and began working there as a sparky, and have written and passed my Regs exams there, which are open book and multiple choice, and only consist of 1x 3h exam paper. It is structured in such a way that if you do not know where to reference the answers, you will not complete it in time, but is by far easier than here!
I do not condone an easy exam, as these regs are obviously in place to facilitate a safe working practice as an electrician. This is very good. But i do think that it is ridiculous that you cannot take your books into the exam with you in order to reference the answers and to aid you with all the tables in working out the calculations.
In an everyday working environment you use these regs, but you will no doubt always have your books around as reference material. This is what they are used for. I think it crazy to ask someone to know off the top of their head everything that these books include. This is not humanly possible.
I am unfortunately not close enough to a college that offers courses in order to attend, so i am having to study off of past papers alone. I have been going through papers for 3 weeks now, and have another 3 weeks til i write my exam. Good luck i think!
Haha. Lets see how much i can continue to cram over the next 3 weeks!
Anyways, my name's Simon, thanx for the forum, and sorry for the rant.
Peace everyone