Thread: DIN rail CB's

Thanks

DIN rail CB's

I have found a few installations where the DIN rail CB's are fed from the bottom and the circuits connected at the top. Is this the correct way and legal?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Cam View Post
    I have found a few installations where the DIN rail CB's are fed from the bottom and the circuits connected at the top. Is this the correct way and legal?
    Hi C-Cam

Isolators get fed from the bottom and CB's from the top. That is basically the IEC standard. DIN/VDE is German and a section of Europe. They are like the Americans and always want to be the other way round.

If it is double break breakers, then it should not really matter. Single break, then it should be entering from the top. Are these locally produced panels or are they part of imported equipment? These breakers normally are IP 20 protected and if they are properly marked with status where the incommer is then it should not be that big a problem

Is it legal. Well in South Africa you find most people that supply COC's do not follow the 100% regulation.

Personally I would suggest that the entry points be changed to the top as some time later another technician can end up working on those same panels and kill himself. He would not do his due dilligence like you did.

I would also suggest you speak to your client and raise your concern. He can then get into contact with the company that passed and supplied him with the COC. If these people are happy with it like that, then they are responsible if something happen.

If there is no COC then your client have to get somebody in fast to inspect his whole installation and supply a COC. If not the implications on him will be huge if something do happen. No insurance payout, liabillity for injured people, and in the case of death, manslauther time.

Thanks
    Certain makes of MCB are fed from the top, some are line at the bottom you just need to check out the datasheets on the manufacturers website to clarify if the info on the MCB itself is ambiguous.

I would never connect one in the opposite direction to that specified by the manufacturer, regardless of the local regs. If it contravenes a regulation then it would need to be replaced entirely with a type that doesn't. If the MCB's are in a control panel of some sort then they possibly would not need to comply with the domestic installation regs.

Thanks
    Hi All

I have to supply my client with a COC. I have always changed the circuits to be connected at the bottom. I have just seen this so many times and do not want to charge clients for work that is not needed. The CB's are Onesto and Siemens ...... On the data sheets it states that the line/load are reversable???

I have tried to phone the Labour Dept but they have never answered the phone when I phone. Not sure if they actually exist????

Not all the CB,s state if it is line or load. I normally follow the numbering 1, 3, 5 (Line) and 2, 4, 6, (Load).

Thanks

Email problem
    Thanks
    in sabs 10142 it states that if you reverse feed it must be clearly marked and allowed by the manufacturer.isolators are not reverse fed as standard,although it is quite common as the adjacent breaker's load wire doesnt have to go all the way around. i sometimes do it with a high current breaker where the bus bars are directly above.
    i would rewire the domestic breakers to feed from the top. its safer and no come backs later.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.