Thread: healthy body healthy mind

Suspended
    Thanks

healthy body healthy mind

i suppose you are wondering why i would be wasting time with stuff like this...think about...as a bussiness owner your health is the most important yfactor of bussiness...not how health your bank account might be...you end up in hospital with a heart attack...or cancer etc...chances are your company is going down the tube with your health...unless of course you are part of a large corporate...where they wouldnt miss you...just replace you...i am talking about the little guys...like myself and a few others on this forum.

so my plan is to see which approuch is gona be the best for me...what is gona fit into my lifestyle...as we all know there is never time to do anything and even less time to worry about our health...i work all day then go back to my workshop and work till whatever hour in the evening...yeah i know i am normally free between 11pm and 5am then my day starts again...so i do have 6 hours off.

i need to find a way to fit in an additional 1 1/2 hours into my day to get a 6- 10 km walk and time to prep my lunch and food for the day.

join a gym...i dont think so...additional monthly cost...plus travelling etc.

so it needs to be something i can do from home...and be flexible...buy a home gym...fitness walker etc...no thank you...the rubbish dump has piles of them...from people who thought they would get fit doing it at home...it would be interest to know stats on how much money is spent on home gyms and hoe many of them are actually used.

please feel free to add anything you feel would help me in my quest to get get heathly and live longer.

the biggest challenge...to actually just get out and do it...mind over matter...what motivates you to keep yourself in shape?
    Last edited by murdock; 18-Jun-12 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks
    Murdock
    Like everything you need goals or at least I do. So pick a doable goal for 6 months. EG finish the Midmar mile, play 2nd league squash, enter Mr South Africa. Once you have a goal you are then motivated to train for it.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    For us old guys it will have to be 'Granpa South Africa'
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Suspended
    Thanks
    thanks...i agree a goal might be the solution...last time...it was a skydiving trip...didnt quite make it...only managed to drop around 20 kg...instead of my target of 26 kg...i will have to think of something.

got in a 5 km walk yesterday afternoon...so at least the ball is rolling.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    http://lifehacker.com/software/motiv...ret-281626.php
    Jerry Seinfield revealed a unique calendar system he uses to pressure himself to write. Here's how it works.

He told me to get a big wall calendar that has a whole year on one page and hang it on a prominent wall. The next step was to get a big red magic marker.

He said for each day that I do my task of writing, I get to put a big red X over that day. "After a few days you'll have a chain. Just keep at it and the chain will grow longer every day. You'll like seeing that chain, especially when you get a few weeks under your belt. Your only job next is to not break the chain."

"Don't break the chain," he said again for emphasis.

6. Thank given for this post:

Citizen X (19-Jun-12), Dave A (20-Jun-12)

Suspended
    Thanks
    thanks...it sounds like something i will consider...

i was considering trying something like that...but...you another reason...my wife and i seem to disagree on another issue.

Thanks
    There is scientific evidence that a healthy body leads to a healthy mind! I left the gym a year ago. I lost 25 k’s in pure muscle mass(not fat), it took me 6 years to build that 25 k’s of lean muscle mass. In February I made a quality decision to get back in shape in a manageable way, a way that would not make it difficult to conduct my other affairs. I started by cutting down my sugar, bread, rice, pasta and pap. I don’t indulge in biscuits, cakes, take a ways and sugary fizzy drinks during the week. On a Friday night and Saturday night I’ll have take a ways and visit the bakery on a Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon. My abs are coming back! I’ve always realized that exercise is important. I don’t over do this time round though. At 5am Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I take a 10 km jog around my neighborhood. On Tuesdays and Thursday, I give myself 30 minutes of exercise before lunch. 12:30 to 13:00. 2 sets of 50 push ups and skipping. I feel that this is more than adequate for me!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vieome View Post
    http://lifehacker.com/software/motiv...ret-281626.php
    Jerry Seinfield revealed a unique calendar system he uses to pressure himself to write. Here's how it works.

He told me to get a big wall calendar that has a whole year on one page and hang it on a prominent wall. The next step was to get a big red magic marker.

He said for each day that I do my task of writing, I get to put a big red X over that day. "After a few days you'll have a chain. Just keep at it and the chain will grow longer every day. You'll like seeing that chain, especially when you get a few weeks under your belt. Your only job next is to not break the chain."

"Don't break the chain," he said again for emphasis.
    Good evening Vieome, I've being studying your recent posts( in a non stalking, non 'cable guy' manner)! There's definately alot more to you than meets the eye of your posts! Are you a writer?
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus