Thread: colour coding of wires

Email problem
    Thanks

colour coding of wires

i'm doing inspections on some year old d.b's. they were prewired by a switch board manufacturer. it is a lighting board with loads of finder relays and bases.
    1st of all the bases are burning out . the relays are 16amp running about 11 amps max. up to 20 double 5 foots on 1 relay.
    then i moaned about the internal wiring colours to the relays from the din terminals red,white and blue for live and neutrals. the consultants and db manufacturer says that its allowed if the wiring is marked with a no.
    any comments?

Thanks
    If the lights are fluorescent then it will most likely be a combination of the starting current and the power factor that's damaging the relays, possibly not the running current. I would refer to the manufacturers specs to get the starting current and check if the relay is overloaded. Also you say the relaysare 16 Amp, is this the AC1 or the AC3 rating. If it's the AC1 rating (linear load) then they might even be overloaded by the running current of the fittings especially if they're inductive (wire wound) ballasts.

If this is a lighting control panel then the colour coding of the internal wiring can be whatever they want if they've colletted the wiring and hopefully provided a circuit drawing. The wiring going to the actual fitting should follow the usual building installation standards.

Suspended
    Thanks
    you are not responsible for a prewired panels...the panel builder should have supplied documentation which covers the panel...which you should attach to the inspection report...and if the customer doesnt have record the panel builder should have copies.

if they are saying it is allowed...attach a copy of the email and documentation backing their statement.

have you checked harmonics and the power factor...cable lengths...etc?
    Last edited by murdock; 14-Jun-12 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Is the wire connecting to the relay bases of the correct physical size with respect to length?
    I had a situation where each wire contributed to the total heat in a DB panel, including the thermal trips and relay coils. The systems used to run 24/7, it is unbelievable the amount of heat accumulated over time. An intelligent rewire f the panel solved this problem.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Email problem
    Thanks
    the wires are 1,5mm. i havent done much testing of power factor etc yet. i must still get the go ahead to look deeper. its seems the flat pins and relay base cant take the load.
    it doesnt say if its ac3 or ac1 on the relay or spec sheet. it could be the starting current ,but its electronic ballasts(flameproof) and starting current isnt much.
    regarding the colours : so if its a panel then colours dont matter ,but a distribution board it does. so put a relay in a dis. board ,then what ? too many gray areas