Thread: SPCA

Thanks

SPCA

I just have one Q to ask?

Is the SPCA allowed to ask me for my bankstatement and my payslip after telling them my husband does not have a job?

Im sitting with a situation where the manager asked me for all my private information after i askes him why the bill is so high?

Please let me know if i should send him this as i dont see the point after explaining my story and my husband does not have an income and he does not know what all my expenses is???

Thanks
    SPCA ? (as in cats and dogs )
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    I’d like to confirm for the record that the SPCA really does very good work under very difficult circumstances. This however does not mean that they should infringe your rights or treat you without dignity and respect.
    I have looked at the by laws and other relevant legislation and cannot find any stipulation that you must prove your income status alternatively your inability to pay their full prescribed fees. That said, this does not preclude them from having an internal policy document on this matter.
    You can request such internal policy document. You may also ask if this rule is applied consistently to all who enter the SPCA’s doors. You can also have an affidavit commissioned explaining your financial situation. I see no reason why they won’t accept an affidavit.
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    When I went to them many years back and said I was unemployed (I was at the time so was legit) they just accepted my word, so they are probably only asking because you are employed (even though your husband isn't). I think they are just trying to prove that you are really in need and not just trying to abuse their systems. If you genuinely can't afford it then comply by showing them (the manager/beancounter) visually, I would also be nervous about handing over copies of that information.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Anybody can ask you anything they like. Whether you comply with that request or not is another matter. However I doubt VERY much that SPCA can legally insist you provide the info requested nor, I doubt, can they hold you to any kind of ransom in an attempt to force you to provide the info. I should imagine that they get taken for a ride very often with people pretending that they cannot afford to pay for the costs incurred by SPCA, so this is probably their attempt to make it not so easy for the public.

You haven't said what the circumstances giving rise to their request was.
    Did you approach them to provide a service to one of your animals and, if so, did you sign any document that included terms and conditions of that service? OR did they recover and house one of your animals which you then traced to them?

Thanks
    Hi All

Thank you for all the feedback.

I asked the manager of the SPCA for the Policy of the Company and he sent it to me it says that they help the under priviledged and pensioners and they pay the subsidised rates. It doesnt say anywhere that you need to provide the with bankstatements and payslips. I went to the SPCA a few months ago and i said to the lady that my husband is unemployed and i am on maternity leave and i cant afford to pay the full sterilization on the cat. Then the lady said no problem what can i afford i said i can afford a R100.00 at that stage. Now the cat got bumped somehow and my husband (still unemployed) took the cat to the SPCA and said to the lady he doesnt have the money to pay a HIGH vet bill. My husband them saw the vet and he gave my husband a bill of R862.00 and said that he needs to do the X rays first to see what the problem is first. My husband then told the lady at the front desk that he doesnt have the money to pay this amount and the lady said "how can you come to the SPCA without money". I sent an E-mail explaining my story to the manager and this is when he asked me to send him my documents. I received a call from the vet and he said that the cat needs to go for a orthopedic opperation and that it will cost me R1500-R2000 over above the R862.00 and i then have the choice to say what must be done to the cat.... I said to the manager that i am not asking to have the cat done for free but just at a discounted rate as my husband is not working and i must pay all the expenses rent kids schools and and and (living cost) so if i show him my payslip is it fine for me to say can i show him my budget and that i cant afford to pay an amount like this. I know that the SPCA does wonderfull work for the public, but after this experience i feel a bit down taken.... They offer the people in the locations free treatment and sterilization to their animals but i just asked for a discounted rate????

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.