Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Removing iron from borehole water

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Removing iron from borehole water

I live on a residential fram Estate near Somerset West and had my borehole water tested recently. I note that the pH of my water is 5.7 but my major concern is the high iron content: 1.71 mg/l

Currently I am only using my borehole water for irrigation, but would like to have it backfed into my house for domestic use. I am concerned about the high iron content that it may stain pipes, bathrooms etc. and believe that there are automatic systems available for the removal of the iron to make it suitable for domestic use.

Believe me, I'm no technical wizz and a couple of guys suggested that I install a manganese dioxide filter and what not (all sounds space aged to me), but the quoted prices for these systems run around R30000+ for these installations. Surely there should be cheaper alternatives or am I missing the boat on this one? If anyone has knowledge of this or could direct me to someone that might assist, I would be grateful.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of my partners is a whiz on water quality management - I'll bump him to see if he has any suggestions. My thought is you might even be able to go RO for less than R30k - but I'll toss it to an expert.

Thanks
    Thanks Dave - greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Hi Eugene, i will forward you a pm of a chap called Marco from a company called The Waterboy, a very good friend of mine. I reckon you may be able to get away with a deionising resin here for your house use and then a reverse osmosis unit for drinking water.
    Remember the Ark was built by Amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals.
    Business isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Marine Aquariums SA

Thanks
    Thanks Alan, will give him a ring today and let you know. Much appreciated!

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Eugene, hope you got sorted....just a note for future, make sure it is unplugged, you could get a nasty shock there!
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Hi Eugene

Iron removal is quite a tricky thing. you can visit a site www.boreholewater.co.za. They specialize in borehole water treatment

Regards, Jason E

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My goodness this is an old thread - and for some reason that link doesn't resolve for me.

However, I did watch a program just yesterday on water filtration - apparently to remove the iron you first have to oxidise it by aerating the water, and then it can be filtered out. (Just what sort of filter wasn't mentioned).

Thanks
    Hi Eugene. I have the same problem except my PH is 7.5 which is fine. I also had a quote of R25 - R30 K for the iron removal. Did you resolve your iron filtration problem? If so, was it very costly? Many thanks. Landy

Thanks
    I installed a RO (Reverse Osmosis) unit a year ago. Puriteck 300gpd @R4200. I pump the filtered water to a 5000lt JoJo tank. From there I use it for waterver I need it for. Keep in mind. 300GPD actually produce about 720lt per day. The waste is in the region of 1400lt per day. I run it 4 hours on and 2 hours off.
    ~Expenses will eat you alive! - My first Boss~

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.