Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I disable Youtube in the new Firefox?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

How can I disable Youtube in the new Firefox?

Sadly I was forced to upgrade to Firefox 12 and it is crap! It removed all powers the user had. Example I was normally able to bock advertisement and never ever had to see a YouTube frame.

With the new Firefox 12 I can disable all the plug-ins but no joy. YouTube can still play and still shows its ugly spam head on each and every page there is. I am sick of it and is thinking just to get rid of the browser in its entirety

I even did the block command in my options tab. No joy. I had a look on Google followed the given instructions no joy. I also see I can no longer uninstall Shockwave Flash individually so am seriously considering just to do a format and install a version of Firefox that still is able to empower the user.

It is for this reason that I don't visit Threads with YouTube on it anymore. It takes forever to load and refresh. Not to mention how much data each of those frames eat...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    ....so am seriously considering just to do a format and install a version of Firefox that still is able to empower the user.
    Formatting your pc is a bit drastic but I suppose it would make for a cheaper night than sitting in the pub. Why not just uninstall FF and try a real mans browser like Opera

I'm guessing that one of the plug-ins or add-ons you had which blocked the parsing of youtube frames with your previous version of FF doesn't play very nicely with the new version. If your new version was recently released it might take a while before updated addons are available.

There might even be a setting on the forum board you can tick or untick to stop links parsing... Dave would probably know. Maybe try viewing the board in a different theme or style like 'mobile'. This would reduce the bandwidth required for viewing if it's a big issue for you.

3. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (23-May-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This made me think; how do I disable or unsubscribe from Facebook? I find it to be a complete waste of time.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

5. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (23-May-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Formatting your pc is a bit drastic but I suppose it would make for a cheaper night than sitting in the pub. Why not just uninstall FF and try a real mans browser like Opera

I'm guessing that one of the plug-ins or add-ons you had which blocked the parsing of youtube frames with your previous version of FF doesn't play very nicely with the new version. If your new version was recently released it might take a while before updated addons are available.

There might even be a setting on the forum board you can tick or untick to stop links parsing... Dave would probably know. Maybe try viewing the board in a different theme or style like 'mobile'. This would reduce the bandwidth required for viewing if it's a big issue for you.
    Actually a good friend of mine explained to me why the new browser was able to show YouTube without my permission. He suggested an "Add-on" called "NoScript". I installed it from the FF "Get Add-ons" my version is 2.4.2

It works just fine. Actually gave me more power over my browser and what gets downloaded. Such as advertisements clips things like that.

See the YouTube frames made a 24mb difference in my normal browsing that was normally only about 8mb if that. Now 24mb is a lot considering if you run into 24mb a session it adds up very quickly.

This is now including all my forum subscriptions across the net not just this forum.

But if you don’t mind how is Opera working for you?
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    This made me think; how do I disable or unsubscribe from Facebook? I find it to be a complete waste of time.
    If I am not mistaken you can remove all your photos and stuff and disable it in its options. I will have a look for you and see if there is a definitive way to get rid of Facebook.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    But if you don’t mind how is Opera working for you?
    Glad you got it sorted out. Opera works very well for me, I find it more stable and fewer crashes than FF. I would recommend Opera.

9. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (23-May-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    As for Facebook click on the small arrow that is on the top of your screen on the right side. A menu will appear click on Account Settings. On your left side you will see a menu click on the "Security" option.

The Security Settings tab will open. Now the "deactivate your account" option will be in blue underneath the Active Sessions.

Click on it and follow the instructions. Then Click on Confirm and I think that is it…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	2593

for the poor resolution but I think it will still do the job.
    peace is a state of mind

11. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (23-May-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Glad you got it sorted out. Opera works very well for me, I find it more stable and fewer crashes than FF. I would recommend Opera.
    Thanks

My main concern is control, how is Opera's options? Is it easy to turn on and off or disable stuff like YouTube frames. Also can it control advertisements?
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    It's much of a muchness really. Most of the functions you're talking about are performed by add-ons and plug-ins, same goes for Opera. Overall I think Opera gives you more control but you'd need to learn a new browser. I think Opera is far more stable and a better option for advanced users but that's just my opinion. I would suggest you run both browsers side by side for a few weeks and suck it and see.

14. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (23-May-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see there is this in the general settings (your profile settings link is top right in the header):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-display-setting.JPG 
Views:	271 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	2600

I don't know if this would extend to video tags though. Let me know if it doesn't and I'll get it added as a suggested improvement at vBulletin.com

16. Thank given for this post:

AndyD (24-May-12), tec0 (24-May-12)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast