Thread: New Terms for old Things?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

New Terms for old Things?

I see in business that there are so many "Buzz Words" - Business Positioner, Brand Navigation, Business Model Disruptor. The word Strategy is absolutely everywhere - There goes my use of it. It is now so over used and mis used. Everyone is a business strategist all of a sudden. I feel for the true strategists out there. They will need to find a new term!

So many are nice sounding and different. But my question is, how is this impacting on business? There is a certain amount of tradition that is required? Are we inviting or scaring away? Are we just thinking up new terms for old things and packaging them differently or are they indeed innovative? Makes me wonder.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Jargon only fools a fool

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Well said adrianh. I would say its more what a person can do for you rather than their title that is important, and what they can do must be explainable to me in simple words without unneccesary jargon.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Another statement comes to mind "A monkey in a suit is a monkey no less" or should it be "A monkey with a title is a monkey no less"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Another statement comes to mind "A monkey in a suit is a monkey no less" or should it be "A monkey with a title is a monkey no less"
    'Don't think I'm fooled by the way that you dress,
    Cause a monkey in silk is a monkey no less.'
    Rodriguez
    (thats one for Vanesh)
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If you want to be a business coach, business adviser or whatever service you perform, the main principle is to be honest. Do not propose to be an expert on all business aspects, as that can never be true.

Know your limitations. Call in the experts if there is something you do not know.

By being honest and adding value to your client's business, you will eventually get word-of -mouth referrals and that is better than any advertising or smart titles that you may be able to come up with. Remember, as an adviser, you are selling yourself. You are the brand, you are the business. (and you only have one chance).
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    If you want to be a business coach, business adviser or whatever service you perform, the main principle is to be honest. Do not propose to be an expert on all business aspects, as that can never be true.

Know your limitations. Call in the experts if there is something you do not know.

By being honest and adding value to your client's business, you will eventually get word-of -mouth referrals and that is better than any advertising or smart titles that you may be able to come up with. Remember, as an adviser, you are selling yourself. You are the brand, you are the business. (and you only have one chance).
    This is very very true, but what I'm seeing out there is telling a different story and it's a really scary one. By the way I don't always agree with you. And I'd hate to meet you in real life because I think we would really knock heads not because of you but because of the passion in me and especially in my belief's and experiences but I really do listen to your point of view! Well there goes another good friendship

8. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (23-May-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BusNavig8 View Post
    This is very very true, but what I'm seeing out there is telling a different story and it's a really scary one. By the way I don't always agree with you. And I'd hate to meet you in real life because I think we would really knock heads not because of you but because of the passion in me and especially in my belief's and experiences but I really do listen to your point of view! Well there goes another good friendship
    Life would have been very boring if we all agreed on everything. We disagree because of experiences or beliefs and a good debate can sometimes open our eyes to a different angle that we have not yet explored. You are welcome to differ with me any time, even my wife does!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still tend to call bullsh*t bullsh*t.

What the heck is a business model disruptor?
    The first thing that came to my mind was troublesome employees.

Then some more came in. Certain categories of clients.

But I guess it's supposed to be someone business contracts in to "improve" things.

I know - It's the folk who install ERP's like SAP and cripple your business for a while