Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! PC won't boot up

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Help! PC won't boot up

Can anyone please help me to reboot my PC?

My pc restarted unexpectedly for no apparent reason. This has happened two or three times before and a reboot sorted out the problem.
    Yesterday the screen froze and as I was unable to "escape", I tried to reset the computer with no success.

I have switched off the power, tried the reboot button, but to no avail. On start up, I get a windows message with options to start in safe mode or normally etc. It indicates that windows will start in 30 seconds, but nothing happens after the count down.

Your assistance will be much appreciated.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blurock, I truly wish that I could help you! With IT and PC's I aint the shapest tool in the shed. I'm the proverbial end user..
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Stick in your windows disk and reboot. Then choose windows repair. You may have to switch on to open the cd drive.
    Otherwise download Hirens cd and use that. Just google it.
    Note: I am an ametuer you may get better advice from someone else.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

4. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (19-May-12)

Thanks
    Hi Bluerock - if it won't start in Safe Mode then IanF's suggestion is the way to go. If you don't have your windows disk any longer (or can't find it) you will need to get a bootable disk from a friend. Keep us posted.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

6. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (19-May-12), IanF (19-May-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nice to have helpful friends on line. That's what the Forum is all about.

Unfortunately the donkey has not moved. I suppose I'll have to take it to the experts to sort out.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Blurock please provide more information , what operational system are you using. when you say it freezes is it freezing on a blue screen. From the little information you provide, it could be several things, and several ways of fixing. One you could reseat your RAM, just remove your RAM and put it back in. 2. Also you could check your BIOS settings it could be set to switch of computer on errors. 3. You computer could also be over heating. 5. If it is giving you the option of safe mode check if it is giving you the option of last known good configuration.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for all the help. I'm afraid I'm a bit technically challenged but I'll try to elaborate.
    On 2 or 3 occasions the pc restarted itself for no apparent reason. It then worked fine for a week or so, but then the screen froze (not a blue screen, but documents I was viewing) and I could not get any response. Esc, Del etc. I then rebooted the pc and after the Windows screen came up, nothing happened after the countdown. I tried putting in the disc as suggested, but that also did not work.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I'd say you have a corrupt windows file or a faulty hdd. But first thing unplug the pc,press the on/off button a few times, plug it back in and start the pc. If that doesn't eork see if it can start in safe mode open the command prompt and type in chkdsk /R or chkdsk -R not sure which one but it will give you an error if it's wrong. Then it will ask ypu to reboot on which ypu click yes after reboot it will run and if there is a bad sector it will show that would mean your hdd is faulty and you ave to replace it, but if it goes through your pc might be fine, if there's still a problem I'd reinstall windows and if you have a problem still then you need a new hdd.
    I hope that helps, I'm not an expert but I like technology and always try and fix pc problems and what I said above I've done, if it works I'll send you an invoice bwahaha... Good luck
    ---There is no traffic at the extra mile---

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vieome View Post
    Blurock please provide more information , what operational system are you using.
    Without knowing which version of windoze it's a bit difficult to assist.
    To start with go control panel>administrative tools>computer management>event viewer>system. Check out the list it gives you and see if anything jumps out at you.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It can actually be hardware related. I have bad feeling about your memory... and or your power supply. Can also be your motherboard...? But my suspicion is hardware. Hopefully I am wrong
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast