Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr Price - Poor Quality

Thanks
    Besides, clothing, here in Lenasia we have certain designer fruit and vegetable stores where the so called rich and famous go and like to be seen. The prices are ofcourse tripple. You need to pay extra for your fruits and vegetables if you want the privilege of stepping into such a shops doors. I don't even want to be seen with such people. I buy my fruits and vegetables from hawkers! I'm happy to do so!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I buy my jackets from Edgars. I only ware a particular brand because the quality is good and the clothing last for a very long time. Most of my clothing is over 6 years old. This is fact and I have the proof to back it up.

Now As for the "standard Mr P" I got 4 shirts in my size. Two of them don’t fit "cannot return them because they ripped at the neck. Now most shirts from "standard Mr P" last 1 maybe 2 months. So consider this my shirt from Edgars last for 6 years they still look nice and are comfy.

ALL my "Mr P" clothing ended up being used to polish my car… Now don’t get me wrong I am not a $nob @$$h0le. I work damn hard for what little I have. But if I don’t use my money wisely then I don’t belong in the world of business.

So spending R1000 at Edgars for good quality clothing is a good investment. Supplementing my clothing with cheaper clothing to "mix and match" is a darn good investment! That way I minimise my overall cost.

Sadly "Mr P's" quality is worth nothing, the clothing don’t fit they are not well made and rip for no reason as if it was left in the sun for 300 years… So I spend a little more at "Mr P sport" and they tend to have good quality.

Also I don’t buy my veggies I grow my own
    Safes you money keeps you fit and it is always fresh
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    I buy my jackets from Edgars. I only ware a particular brand because the quality is good and the clothing last for a very long time. Also I don’t buy my veggies I grow my own
    Safes you money keeps you fit and it is always fresh
    Tec0, I'll be perfectly honest with you guys. I do envy you guys who can afford to buy from Edgars. I no longer can! I had a an Edgars and Makhams card for many years but not any longer. I buy my clothing cash and I do prefer the outlets which offer the cheapest prices. I do however agree, one should have quality jackets. With jackets I still prefer leather. I have one such quality jacket. The others are of the type you eventually put in your dogs kennel as extra blankets. The cheap shirts and tshirts, I agree, you can only wear them for limited period of time before you promote them to the status of 'scroplappie,'I agree Mr P's tshirst, those R29 ones can only be worn for a certain time. The Edgars equivalent is R120 and can be worn for 2 years. I still buy the Mr P T shirts, you see I never hang my tshirts as it makes the neck area of the tshirt to become sloppy over time. I know I can only wear a Mr P tshirt for about 3 months before it gets promoted to 'scroplappie!" I'm really into organic vegetables. At the moment though I've only got spinach, carrots, bay leaves, mint and rosemary..
    Last edited by Citizen X; 29-May-12 at 10:42 AM.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

4. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (29-May-12)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hi Murdock
    am assuming you from Durban when i suggest that for your vests & shorts ,try the jockey factory shop on Umgeni Road.On my year visit, i avoid the bargain bins,& go for the stuff on shelf that says nearly perfect or does it say nearly imperfect ,am not sure now. in fact it is 100% perfect. you will save quite a few bob here.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It is about saving money. Managing your money is probably the most important aspect for any person. I agree that one does not always have the money to spend on clothing but I save up for a month or 3 until I can go out get what I need.

I also don’t believe in contracts. It is for this reason I am questioning the 24 month contract from our telecommunications providers. Despite their promises of standing for and working with South Africans the 12 month contract is still in short supply. Not to mention that prepaid is more expensive than almost any contract? This questions if they are fighting poverty or promoting it…

"Mr P" must wakeup cheap clothing is one thing but I rather spend R50 or even R80 on a shirt that fits and is of good quality then spending R29 on something that will only last a week.

I feel we have a consumer council it is a good tool to have and allows for communication. I suggest that we use this tool and allow for "more reasonable contracts", "better [Not best] quality" clothing and that our prepaid services that caters for the poor be made cheaper.

They forget that the public is there main consumer, giving us good service and quality at affordable prices "that is still within the profit margin" means they will still make money.

Right now they are just ripping us off and they know it…
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    I feel we have a consumer council it is a good tool to have and allows for communication. I suggest that we use this tool and allow for "more reasonable contracts", "better [Not best] quality" clothing and that our prepaid services that caters for the poor be made cheaper.

They forget that the public is their main consumer, giving us good service and quality at affordable prices "that is still within the profit margin" means they will still make money. Right now they are just ripping us off and they know it…
    The South African consumer is too lazy to take up any cause. The Consumer Council, the Bank Ombudsman or other bodies get mostly "nuisance" calls, but nobody is prepared to make a stand and take up a cause. What happened to the debate and action for cheaper cellphone rates? It just fizzled out and the cellphone companies are still charging exuberant rates, despite their undertakings to reduce charges.

Why do we just accept that banks charge a cheque deposit fee?!! Ridiculous!! There is no extra cost for the bank and the drawer is already paying a ridiculous fee. Cash deposit fees I can understand, as the bank has to incur cost for additional security and the transport of cash. But nothing has changed in the way that banks processed cheques. In fact, central clearing and electronic aids have made it cheaper. Why should the consumer now be milked for additional profit?

Why do we not form or join action groups? WE are too lazy!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    The South African consumer is too lazy to take up any cause. The Consumer Council, the Bank Ombudsman or other bodies get mostly "nuisance" calls, but nobody is prepared to make a stand and take up a cause. What happened to the debate and action for cheaper cellphone rates? It just fizzled out and the cellphone companies are still charging exuberant rates, despite their undertakings to reduce charges.

Why do we just accept that banks charge a cheque deposit fee?!! Ridiculous!! There is no extra cost for the bank and the drawer is already paying a ridiculous fee. Cash deposit fees I can understand, as the bank has to incur cost for additional security and the transport of cash. But nothing has changed in the way that banks processed cheques. In fact, central clearing and electronic aids have made it cheaper. Why should the consumer now be milked for additional profit?

I agree people simply accept things because they don’t have the time or the money to argue about it. Fact is courts are build for people with money. A poor person will never see justice nor have access to the courts in South Africa. So in that respect I feel there is no point in using a system designed to bankrupt people.

As for the council there is no clarity really. There is almost always a communication problem.

I know people that got so tired of this clothing thing they spend the money and make their own now. It is labour intensive but the fabric is inexpensive and the clothing fit so there is an upside.

Maybe a consumer strike is the way to go. Create a consumer union and people just SMS to belong to this union and if a Shop or company wants to give poor quality or service we get an SMS stating "don’t buy at this shop due to a consumer strike" and Businesses will take notice. Maybe that is the way to go.

It will be more cost effective then a lawyer and all you have to do as a consumer is to stay away.... till an SMS is send stating the consumer strike is over.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post

Blurock is 100% exactly right! This is particularly true with the various offices of the ombudsman. based on the actual experiences of many friends and family members who went the omb route, the omb refused to make a formal ruling which they allowed to do by law. In these cases they privided that they play an advisory and suggestion role and can only suggest to banks. The contrary is true, they can make a formal ruling..
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I actually tried to use the ombudsman once and it turned out to be a universal bugger-up. I explained to him my situation I kept it short and factual. He replied "no-comment" I ask what I can do? He replied "fill in the form and maybe we will get to it"

MAYBE!... MAYBE!!!

What the hell is he on about? Sometimes I don’t think the people are lazy sometimes It is the other way around. The people handling the complaints are in some cases just useless. We might as well close their departments down save money…

I think the consumers must start a union "Union of Consumers" pay a small amount per month via SMS and Post their stories on a public board. If there is enough complaints an SMS gets send to the consumers stating a consumer strike is in effect that will last a few weeks. People stop to shop there and the business will feel it almost immediately. That way people are able to get results.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    What happened at BW a few years ago is, one of the members was given the run around by a car salesman and refused to honour the warranty, so all the members sent the salesman and his boss a sms saying they will not deal with or recommend the dealership to their friends and aquaintances unless the problem is sorted out.

Problem sorted the next day!!
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

12. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (30-May-12)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast