Thread: warranties dates

Suspended
    Thanks

warranties dates

i have a small situation...i installed a daynight switch for a customer less than a year ago...now here is the interesting part...when i replaced it today...i noted the date stamped on the unit...feb. 2011...when i contacted the supplier about this issue today...i was told that the warranty is only valid from the date stamped on the product...therefore i must replace the day/night switch at my cost for labour and the cost of the day/night switch...i only get stung once...like the pakaging and all the other bit and pieces i am getting nailed for later...from today forward...if the product they supply me has a date older than 1 week...it will be returned.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It just shows that the supplier has had many failures of the cheap sh!t imported from ........and now you must carry the cost for having been sold cheap sh!t.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    We have an arrangement with several of our suppliers where we order items for stock and our warranty actually starts from the date the item is invoiced to our customer, not the date we purchased or the date on the item itself. I'm not sure if will do the same arrangement with a contractor though, we hold many of our accounts as an OEM customer so it might be a little different.

Even so the date stamped on the unit will probably be the manufacture date, your warranty should be at least from the date on your invioce.

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Add to this that when you supply, your product comes with an automatic 6 month warrantee under the consumer protection act.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    i have a small situation...i installed a daynight switch for a customer less than a year ago...now here is the interesting part...when i replaced it today...i noted the date stamped on the unit...feb. 2011...when i contacted the supplier about this issue today...i was told that the warranty is only valid from the date stamped on the product...therefore i must replace the day/night switch at my cost for labour and the cost of the day/night switch...i only get stung once...like the pakaging and all the other bit and pieces i am getting nailed for later...from today forward...if the product they supply me has a date older than 1 week...it will be returned.
    When was it invoiced? I'm pretty sure they have to adhere to a 1year warranty from date of purchase, at least. Otherwise take it up with the National Consumer Commission and see if they can help you.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Suspended
    Thanks
    i discussed the matter with the supplier this morning...and took the invoice with me to indicate the date i invoiced the customer...and they replaced both the units without a problem.

Suspended
    Thanks
    who pays the call out fee?

it is easy for the supplier to say no problem we will replace it...but who pays fro the call out is it my responsiblity as a contractor.

clipsal product for example...i no longer replace faulty components...i contact the supplier and insist they send their repair team to replace...which they do.

8. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (15-May-12)

Thanks
    Traditionally a suppliers warranty is limited to the item itself.....there might be scope in the CPA to push this boundary, I don't know.

Your mark-up on the item when you sell it to the customer would usually cover the inconvenience and replacement labour should it be necessary under warranty. Obviously it's a numbers game, the hundreds you install and don't get a warranty claim for would go some way toward funding the one that does need replacing as well.

10. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (17-May-12)