My story starts with a bit of background:
I have been a longstanding client with MTN and over the years there have been amazing specials and as the time went on I accumulated a couple of accounts as my family spread so I cut back on said accounts. However after a shocking identity fraud with Telkom I decided to retain on of the Sims and upgrade from time to time to keep a backup phone at home rather than have a land line...My Black Berry tends to be temperamental.
Any how this is a basic phone contract with a R100 a month loaded air time and top up option. Now this phone as I say is not used and sits in a draw for most of its existence. Yesterday as luck would have it my Black Beery did the proverbial quiche and had to be taken back to supplier. I fished out the old Nokia back up and put it on charge. Well I have panic mechanic kids and on answering a returned call discovered after only a minute or so of chat that I only had R1 remaining. This morning I duly contacted MTN and demanded to know why they had not been topping up my contract, only to be informed much to my chagrin that I have a daily subscription attached to my account that was started in February...Well I know for a fact that the last time I communicated on the phone was around about feb but I also know that I would never knowingly subscribe to nonsense. The fact is that I have never ever received any word or communication from these people. If they were legit with the fees being R7 per day i would in fact owe them R210.00 per month. The reason I call this a scavenger scam is because they just scrounge out the account and continue to do so without permission.
Mtn gave me the name of something named OPERA with contact details.
Opera in turn supposedly unsubscribed me from their mobimatic account. They gave me some story that they are a platform called a wasp that helps to unsubscribe members with accounts. Then they spun me a story that a company called Sprint Media was the account holder and that I had to take it up with them.
After phone back after some thought I demanding to speak to a supervisor at Opera and I asked these questions 1) why would my service provider MTN have them listed as the people who are responsible for the account?
2) If they have permission to terminate my subscription, why did I now have to chase other companies to get a refund for something I did not implement in the first place?
Well it seem that they are trying to remedy something but as always one can only wait and see!