I have seen a number of accounting savvy members, so here's a few questions.

I have a "home made" accounting program which I have refined over the years to make my capturing extremely efficient ( and fast ), and tailored to my exact needs and way of working.

Wanting to expand, can anyone please tell me which accounts I should be using for the following transactions ( all SARS related ) and also the account types ( liability / expense / accounts payable, etc )

My system uses a simple "DR one account, and CR another", so which of the accounts ( as suggested by you in reply to the above question ) should be posted to for the following :

1. Submission of bi-annual provisional tax forms ( before payment )
2. Payment of above ( before payment I should be able to have an amount owing in "SARS Account Payable" )
3. Penalty charged by SARS for late submission
4. Tax liability as estimated on I&E Statement
5. SARS Assessment of tax payable ( may differ from above - how to process - reverse estimate and process SARS assessed value ? )
6. Refund Received
7. Interest added to SARS Statement of Account for under payment of provisional tax, etc
8. Year end posting to Accumulated Funds account ( which accounts should have their balances cleared and transferred to "Accumulated Funds" at the end of each financial year )

Lastly, would it be advisable to have separate tax account for each financial year ? My thinking here is that there will often be transactions in the year after the assessed year - for example, we get an assessment in June where we have to make a payment of tax for the financial tax year that ended in the February. Would it make sense to keep all those transactions together ?