As we all know petrol is going up by 28c on Wednesday and I really would like to find out why. On the news it was said that the rand weakened againsts the us dollar which is through however the difference is 15c from when they last increased the petrol price last month. So my basic calculation is to take a barel of brend crude and calculate the amount of petrol and diesel in it, barel is almost 160 litters of which 43% is petrol and 23% is diesel that makes it 66% which means 106 litters from a barel is petrol and diesel. Based on that i take 15c x 106 liters = R15.90 so theoretically that is the increase but when the rand was stronger and the petrol price was increased the price per barel was 125 dollars where now it is under 120, so if you following my calculations you will note that petrol should actually go down and not up.

Price of petrol in 2008 was R10 dollar was at the same price 7,70 and brend crude oil was 145 rand a liter, how come now petrol is more than R2 more expensive?

I searched on the internet but there is no clear explanation of how the petrol price is calculated and what money goes where. I found an article from 2005 and at that stage the real petrol price was less then half of the selling price, 8.1% was going to the retailers, 8% was going to the wholesalers and the rest was government taxes. I would like to know what the exact values are now and how exactly is the price of petrol calculated? I'd love to hear from somebody that is in the industry that can explain accurately.