Thread: Business: One good measure deserves another.

Thanks

Business: One good measure deserves another.

I would typically buy the usual Sunday Coke , Sunday Times and confectionary from either Shoprite at Signet Terrace or Pick n’ Pay Trade Route Mall in Lenasia.
    A chance visit to a local bakery called the Pastry Palace on Protea Road Lenasia allowed me to get a free Sunday Times Newspaper. I am now brand loyal to them with Sunday shopping needs on the basis that they give a free Sunday Times Extra. I like getting things for free!!!!!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Vanash and now you may realise that their confectionery is fresh and more tasty than the usual supermarket fare.

Support your local small business!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Yes, it is Blurock! Too much confectionary is not good though. It's just that if you had two plates before you and one contained an apple and a bananna and the other a cream croissant and a chocolate eclaire, which plate would you choose?
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I just find that buying from your local butcher, baker or candlestick maker, rather than the supermarket adds value in that you get personal service and you get better value as you can choose your cuts etc etc. These people almost become your friends over time.

These are people that live in my community and make a contribution at the school, fete, ratepayers association etc. Yes, I can not buy everything from them, as the supermarket does have some benefits price wise or stuff that the small shop does not stock. But imagine if we had only supermarkets and no small businesses.

Support your local entrepreneur!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

5. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (24-Apr-12)

Thanks
    Yes, you are exactly right Blurock! It does hold true that your local buchery and bakery know you on a first name basis and they do give you personal service which you otherwise would not obtain from the corporate retailers..
    Click here
    sabbaticus

7. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (24-Apr-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Add fresh fruit & veg as something to consider getting away from the supermarkets.

Sure, quality may vary according to the particular operation, but when I compare Fruit & Veg City quality to the product quality in our local Shoprite, Pick n Pay or Spar - the difference is staggering.

In fact, until the local Fruit & Veg City opened up, I thought there was no more quality fruit & veg available in Durban anymore. Standards had been in a steady decline for years.

So there is good stuff out there. Just need the shop that really does get the quality stuff onto their shelves.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hi Dave,

Had the same experience up here in Jhb south, and not only that, the price was so much cheaper too.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    I'll level with you guys: Today at the FNB parking in the Lenasia CBD on Rose Avenue, several hawkers converge. I spent R60 as follows: R10 tomatoes(my garden range is finished), R10 Onions, R20 Potatoes and R20 apples and bananas. Quality: Excellent! When Fruit n Veg have their combo specials on a Wednesday I make use of that. I also like the range of nuts and dried fruit that Fruit & Veg have. My patronage for fruits and vegetables goes to hawkers...
    Click here
    sabbaticus