Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why should one use an estate agent?

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Why should one use an estate agent?

Please give 5 reasons for using an estate agent?

Would it not be better to simply advertise privately and save a lot of money?

What are the pros and cons....

Hey Doug, you've got the floor, tell us why we should use your services....sell it to us...come on, don't be shy...grab the mic and let rip!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Note by Dave A: some rather non-constructive discussion was moved elsewhere. And back to tec0...

I believe we are correct in saying that you need to be qualified to do the job at hand after all this is a requirement. Secondly I also agree that there needs to be some kind or liability when someone sells a bad property to someone else. You are the facilitator after all?

So if you can stop for a moment and consider how many people got a bad deal and give the situation some thought you will find that many people wishes to be educated.

So please educate us… Or otherwise consider us educated by your aggression.
    Last edited by Dave A; 04-Apr-12 at 09:27 PM.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

3. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (04-Apr-12), Citizen X (05-Apr-12), Petrichor (04-Apr-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    @ Doug B
    However you failed to address a single problem people have with estate agents.

So please educate us… Or otherwise consider us educated by your aggression.
    I agree with tecO and would like to know what Doug has to say on the topic. The question has not been answered yet.

The Forum is a place to share ideas and information. We are individuals and therefore do not think alike. So we do have different opinions from time to time. If you do not agree or are offended by a post, it is your right to voice your opinion, but swallow your pride and move on.

It is amusing to see the sparring between members, but when it gets to this level it gets a bit tedious and childish. So come on chaps, kiss and make up and lets hear what Doug has to say about his profession.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

5. Thank given for this post:

Petrichor (04-Apr-12), tec0 (04-Apr-12)

Suspended
    Thanks
    ciao
    Last edited by Doug B; 05-Apr-12 at 04:19 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    never heard such trash in my life! If a sale falls flat because it turns out the buyer actually can't afford the monthly bond repayments as calculated by the banks it is OUR fault...say no more.
    That is one side of the coin yes.

However, lets continue on shall we…

The liability factor comes to play within the inspection of the home and the actual paperwork that goes with it. In my own experience I have found that sometimes the person that did the electrical inspection for example was not in reality certified. Now in my case the paperwork was given to me by the estate agent.

In this respect all paperwork handled by the estate agent needs to be certifiable. Otherwise fraud comes to mind. Now my question to you is this: whose responsibility is it to check for the validity of the documents?

I believe this is no laughing matter if the property where accompanied with questionable documentation?

What is your responsibility towards these documents?
    Also do you authenticate them or do you only make these documents available on request?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    so in future I would appreciate your respect regarding my presence, failing which I will simply ignore you
    Respect is earned, and your other posts were also less then respectful so please don't try and force anyone to do anything. If you ignore us, it is simply your choice and the choice of the agency you now represent.

So please do continue and if you don’t mind leaving other member's names out in your examples.

Thank you.
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Ok, so lets say you sell a R2.5mil house, you make 2.5% which is R62,500. Can you honestly say that estate agents generally do work worth this kind of money. I am of the view that an estate agent should be tasked to do a due dilligence on the property and sign off on various issues related to the property such as that the plans are valid and lodged, that the electrical certificate has been obtained, that there are no outstanding rates and taxes payable...etc. If it turns out after the fact that those things are not in order then the estate agent should be held liable, the estate agent is then free to sue the seller to recover the money. I did not say an estate agent should be held liable if a deal falls flat, an estate agent should be held liable if he sold a property and the basic paperwork was not in order.

Further;
    1. How come you call me an 'idiot' when I ask a simple question?
    2. How can you say that asking where 2.5% of a sale goes 'childish crap' ?
    3. Don't you think the buyer & seller are entitled to know exactly what they are paying for?
    4. Given the whole Wendy Mechanic debacle, don't you think that customers would expect transpacency in their dealings with estate agents?
    5. What about Auction Alliance & Wendy Appelbaum, where Auction Alliance tried to defraud her out of millions on the Quoin Rock Wine Estate deal, don't you think that such acts on the part of realtors make buyerc and sellers very weary of estate agents and auction houses?

9. Thank given for this post:

flaker (05-Apr-12), tec0 (04-Apr-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Ok, so lets say you sell a R2.5mil house, you make 2.5% which is R62,500. Can you honestly say that estate agents generally do work worth this kind of money. I am of the view that an estate agent should be tasked to do a due dilligence on the property and sign off on various issues related to the property such as that the plans are valid and lodged, that the electrical certificate has been obtained, that there are no outstanding rates and taxes payable...etc. If it turns out after the fact that those things are not in order then the estate agent should be held liable, the estate agent is then free to sue the seller to recover the money. I did not say an estate agent should be held liable if a deal falls flat, an estate agent should be held liable if he sold a property and the basic paperwork was not in order.

Further;
    1. How come you call me an 'idiot' when I ask a simple question?
    2. How can you say that asking where 2.5% of a sale goes 'childish crap' ?
    3. Don't you think the buyer & seller are entitled to know exactly what they are paying for?
    4. Given the whole Wendy Mechanic debacle, don't you think that customers would expect transpacency in their dealings with estate agents?
    5. What about Auction Alliance & Wendy Appelbaum, where Auction Alliance tried to defraud her out of millions on the Quoin Rock Wine Estate deal, don't you think that such acts on the part of realtors make buyerc and sellers very weary of estate agents and auction houses?
    Now I agree with this. 100%

People lose a lot of money thanks to the lack of transparency, questionable documentation and pressure to purchase/sale of a property.

This type of investment and it IS an investment must be considered from all angles and all dangers must be highlighted by the facilitator in this case the estate agent.

Doug B what are your thoughts on the above?
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Ok, so lets say you sell a R2.5mil house, you make 2.5% which is R62,500. Can you honestly say that estate agents generally do work worth this kind of money.
    Quite likely not if you just look at one individual agent on one specific sale, but when you consider the total industry effort ploughed into marketing that house, it might even be cheap at the price.

To some extent the estate agent game is like watching a whole pile of people toss money into a bucket and at the end of the day one winner walks away with the prize.

Some agents might only sell a house every three to six months, or even only once a year.
    Of course there are others that manage to get multiple sales every month, but it's a pretty small percentage of the total working the industry.

Ultimately there are other options such as sell it yourself and sell it with some light assistance, both of which require some skill and are ultimately pay-as-you-go deals - which means you've got to finance the marketing effort yourself as opposed to just pay for a result.

I suggest the issue of culpability probably deserves its own thread.

Suspended
    Thanks
    ciao.
    Last edited by Doug B; 05-Apr-12 at 04:20 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The amount the estate agent gets isn't really why I express an interest. For me it comes down to dodgy work. As seen on other post in other threads you do get good agents but I and others I am sure have experienced something completely different.

When it comes to the paperwork and validity of inspections who is responsible?
    peace is a state of mind

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast