Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SANS 10142 October pre 1992

Email problem
    Thanks

Angry SANS 10142 October pre 1992

I have just again re-tested an installation that was tested a month before. The installation is done before 1992 and the previous electrician excuses is "reasonably safe" and "is not covered pre-1992"! Why test the installation then? It is of my opinion that it is bull s..t that you can hide behind the fact of an installation being done before 1992 and "reasonably safe". Sorry guys we contractors need to take pride and stand for good practice, safety & quality installations...... How can leave a house with a fuse board, earthing issues, open wiring and say you have tested & found all in order, i will not stay in an house with such a useless COC issued or maybe i am taking it too far?

Thanks

case for consideration

8.6.3 l in the case of installations that existed before...and is reasonably safe.

I'm sure you refer to this. Well a-j (exception being k) needs to be in order. I point out 'h' circuits, fuses.... Marked or labelled..

Either you have ulterior motives and want to point out ever fault for the extra bucks or the other dude genuinely has no idea on how to test an installation and/or is still reading from sabs 0142.. :?

I'm a firm believer in safe while used correctly..

Just my view.

Email problem
    Thanks
    It brings me back to the question, what is reasonably safe? As an accredited person ,taking the responsibility of testing and certifying an installation-how will you answer when asked in a court after a house that you tested has partly burnt down and a child has lost its life" what measures did you take as the accredited person to make sure the installation was safe? I am not prepared to leave an installation with unsafe electrical apparatus and cover it with reasonably safe, its not worth the risk. I will rather leave it to the the guys that are prepared to take the risk to make " a quick buck"

Thanks
    What 8.6.3.1 means is that that speciffic section of the installation(original) is not required to comply with ALL of the standards of today. Todays safety standards(ELCB, earthing..) DO however apply, as well as ALL the relevant standards that existed at the time of installation. Any "unsafe" apparatus may not be certified as reasonably safe. This would be issuing an invalid COC which happens to be illegal. Unfortunately there is no recourse through the "official" channels. I suggest that you advise the homeowner to approach his legal advisor about instituting a claim for damages against the offender. If the home is newly purchased his best option is to cancel the purchase if he is still within the cooling off period.

Email problem
    Thanks
    That is the unfortunate truth, there is no official channel where these kind of issues can be settled- it always ends up "your word against mine". The home owner only moved in after the transfer has been done. It is a concern to me that a fuse box can be classified as reasonably safe, what about those re-wireable fuses that most of the time have the incorrect fuse wires? This is a very grey area to me, thus I feel when in doubt, follow the latest code of practice.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrad View Post
    That is the unfortunate truth, there is no official channel where these kind of issues can be settled- it always ends up "your word against mine". The home owner only moved in after the transfer has been done. It is a concern to me that a fuse box can be classified as reasonably safe, what about those re-wireable fuses that most of the time have the incorrect fuse wires? This is a very grey area to me, thus I feel when in doubt, follow the latest code of practice.
    You cannot issue a COC on an installation that has Fuses.
    You cannot buy the fuse wire anymore therefore rendering the fuses useless
    rendering the installation NOT reasonably safe. The fuses must be replaced by circuit breakers of the correct rating for the cable it protects.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Email problem
    Thanks
    not to mention the earth leakage relay . i fail all boards with fuses and inspect all installations as if they were built post 92.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi Guys ,their is legal recourse thru the Approved Inspection Authority.If the customer feels that they got a raw deal,they can have a audit done on the installation.If it is found that there is any irregularities ,the accredited person needs to fix all defects at his cost in a certain period of time.Their is however a cost attached to the investigation.
    The customer can also contact the local Municipal Inspector who can issue a ITR (instruction to repair notice) which needs to be repaired within 21 days.

Thanks
    Sorry to burst your bubble NTS2011, but the sad truth is that I am in possesion of an AIA, as well as DOL declaration issued last year that a COC issued by mr JP Bornman of Volta Electrical is invalid yet to date neither of the two instances nor the Chief Prosecutor, who also has these reports, have taken any steps to have the condition rectified. Mr Bornman(highly recommended) continues to issue illegal COCs. The municipal inspector has no authority over an electrical contractor. Should the municipal inspector find out about the invalid COC his only course of action is to give the homeowner 21 days in which to have the repairs done whereafter the supply will be cut if not done. More expences and inconvenience for the buyer of a home certified by Volta Electrical and the likes of mr JP Bornman. Feel free to browse the older posts for all the gory details. Sad but true. That is why I say to hell with the new SA, bring back the Onbudsman.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrad View Post
    It brings me back to the question, what is reasonably safe? "
    Try doing an inspection in Cape Town's Northern areas and see how many of your quotes are accepted. I am sure that you like myself will fail an installation where the DB is DIRECTLY above the stove. BELIEVE IT!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast