Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Investment Advice

Thanks
    Buying property in 2007/2008 must have been the wrong decision. I am sure many people can attest to that!

I am in agreement that our property market is in a bubble, just have a look at - http://housepricesouthafrica.com/ for some interesting reading. I have also read many similar discussions, it seems people that like investing in property like the idea of having something that they can touch and see.

Personally I like the idea as well, maybe because the dynamics seem simpler than the financial side!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HugoStroebel View Post
    it seems people that like investing in property like the idea of having something that they can touch and see.
    In times of financial crises, tangible goods is king as opposed to inflationary paper based investments.
    An example, if you are in the middle of the dessert, what has more value, shares in say an oil company, or a camel?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If I had money when I was younger, I would have invested in property. It can also be a trap if you invest in the wrong property, but can give you an inflation linked annuity income if selected and invested wisely.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickolai Naydenov View Post
    Property growth between 2002 and 2012 was 98% (ten years in the property market is short term, but in the mean time you still get rent, interest) also you pay the property about three and a half times during the life of the bond so practically you've lost money (if you think that gearing is a way to make money! I am talking about investing money you have to pay for property not borrowing to own it) To compare that if we take Coronation Top 20 if you had R100 000 in year 2000 in year 2010 you would of had R692 000 (and if nationalisation happens you will have nothing, when Chris Hani was assasinated there was nearly civil war and any paper investments would have made good toilet paper, but property would have still been there even if it had been vandalised and would have stood the test) I have a client that has made over 100% in five and a half years, I've also got a few clients that did just over 24% in the last year (there are a lot of people with serious money who invested in america and lost their shirts when the bubble burst, they showed huge growth on their original investment today not so much!) when you sell the property you will pay CGT and when you have more than one property then all the taxes and etc will be more as compared to a primary property (that is a given but the idea is to try and not sell property, earn the rentals and when you really need to then you sell) In the last 4 years property hasn't grown so taking inflation into consideration property has lost value (but in the last 30 years property has shown a remarkable resilliance and rentals have increased with inflation) there is a bubble in SA property (there is always a bubble in SA property, years ago if you owned a block of flats in Hillbrow you were top of the heap, today not so much, 20 years from now, who knows?) You also think that there is property is cheap but it's not really (you just said it lost value, you can't have it both ways! I say there are bargains out there you will have to do spade work)
    Well good luck with "Coronation top 20" but I would also look at "Premium property" to see how you do it
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Ferrarijohn if you want to advertise your business do so in the relevant section please
    ---There is no traffic at the extra mile---

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you're wondering who Ferrarijohn is was, he/she just qualified for removal (albeit in another thread).

Rules is rules.

7. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (22-Jul-12), Nickolai Naydenov (21-Jul-12)

Email problem
    Thanks

Financial Advice and Asset Management rolled into one

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Fourie View Post
    What is the best way to invest money on long term and where? Low risk and high income. (Or is this wishful thinking?)
    Regards,
    Dirk Fourie
    As helpful as these forums are, I do believe that best option for establishing what kind of investment is best for you is by contact a financial services company.
    Last edited by Dave A; 15-Aug-12 at 03:46 PM. Reason: let's get to know you better first

Suspended
    Thanks
    Looking for an investment advice? try to search from google you can find the best advice. But for me? I suggest that the best advice is to hold what I have and when markets take dive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123