Thread: ban on ip address

Suspended
    Thanks

ban on ip address

every time i try access forums...i get a message...you have a ban on your ip address.

can anyone explain...

hows this happens and more importantly who put the ban on the ip address.

i have been using my computer in a location where there are lots of wireless networks...and some were not secured networks and didnt have any securitys...could my computer have atempted to log onto one of the networks?

Suspended
    Thanks
    mmmmm bans normally come from forum owners who you might have pissed off There is also a web site that has a list of ip addresses on and that you can report people to for sending spam ........ maybe someone has listed you !

Thanks
    Is it a single forum or several? What forum is it and where's it located?

First and easiest thing is try unplugging your router, flushing you DNS cache then reboot router.

To flush type cmd into a run box
    then type ipconfig /flushdns
    hit enter

It's possible you might have ended up on a spammy ip range that's been blanket banned by the forum concerned in which case you'll need to email then and explian the problem. It's a bit doubtful though,banning ranges from SA isn't common practce, it would be more likely if you were routed through an iprange from india or parts of the USSR.

It's possible that your ISP has acquired an iprange from elsewhere that has been used for spamming in the past, this is becoming common practice now with IPV5 ranges becoming in short supply they're regularly traded and reallocated.

Spammer info is collated by registers like Akismet and StopForumSpam etc but there's loads of them and too many to check them all yourself. It depends also which particular spammer register the forum in question gets it's blocklists from. Again you'd need to address the admin of the board.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Stopforumspam and Akismet normally only fire when you register on forums, or add a comment on blogs.

I might be able to give some answers, but I'd need to know which forums and whether you were just browsing, registering or posting.

There is actually quite a wide range of other possible reasons - the worst being that sometimes SA IP blocks get caught up in some site owners' attempts to block "problem regions".

If they try to block Nigeria, for example, some local IP blocks tend to get caught in the net too.

Suspended
    Thanks
    uk forums...i can access them with my netbook but not this new laptop...the new one is running windows 7 pro...the netbook is running xp pro.

i am not registered with the forums...i was attempting to access a thread to read...via a google search.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you're not a member, then it's probably IP address related as Andy suggests then.