Thread: What's on the cards for today

Diamond Member
    Thanks

What's on the cards for today

I wish I had 100 hands, 100 brains and 100 hours a day. My tasks for today are to figure out how to change my OpenCart website to do what I want it to, to faff around with my Android app and get it to scale correctly, then add lots of products to the website by creating all the data in Excel and uploading it (which is near impossible now because of the complexity of the data), lasercut lots a sample products, add new art for new products to the catalog, price list and website.

You know, there is something that I see in all there tasks, they are lots of very specialized things that could be handled very quickly and easily by skilled individuals yet I spend my days bashing my head trying to figure out how to do them simply because I am not willing to be ripped off by those "skilled individuals". Imagine a place where we could barter skills, I have many that I can trade for those that I need. I even taught a student how to run a 3D modeling program the other day because it is better that he does the drawings and brings them to me for cutting, rather than me waste the time doing them myself. Seems like an odd trade, I spend 1 hour teaching him and I save myself many hours having to do the drawings for him.

Anyhow, I had better get back to bashing the old brain....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hi Adrian,

This is our very problem, we assume that the people are ripping us off with their skills, as you know school fees learning the skills is very costly.

We also tend to sell ourselves very short, and this is the reason that we struggle financially, we do not see the value that our skills bring to other people. Because it comes easy to us, it is not worth much - WRONG!

If it was so easy, every Tom, Dick and Harry would be doing it, and we would be in a situation that we would be competing with Tom, Dick and Harry.

I have now started to raise my prices for work I do for clients, and what I have noted, is that I am a little less busy, but able to produce a better quality final product, because of the extra time I have, with out it having affecting me financially, and some cases I have landed the job, something about perception, if you are more expensive than the competition, it's because you have something better syndrome.

Whilst you may think that someone to find you the solution is expensive, just think what you could earn in the time you are trying to figure out your cart could make in other income which you are good at. Do the numbers, you will note that you will probably make more money because you have freed your time to concentrate on what makes money.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Yea, you're quite right in everything you say.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Part of the problem isn't about the cost. I think for many of us it's also the challenge - we just don't want to let go until we've "cracked it."

I tend to outsource when I find I'm putting serious hours into setting something up and progressing too slowly nowadays, but I've sunk months into projects I should have handed over and got them whacked in a week before just because I was seduced by the challenge of mastering the f*cker.