a couple of months ago i upgraded my laptop...thinking that i would now have a really fast computer that would switch on a faster...no more waiting while loading programs or internet websites etc...

i must have done something wrong or there must be a setting which requires adjustment.

when i first switched on the machine...man i thought this is what i expected...in fact it was until the updates started from microsoft...now the new computer is just a slow as the old one was...yet i have an i5 with the what was the fastest processor...500 gig hard drive...4 gig ram etc etc ...now i use both laptops because while i am waiting for the one i use the other...it ridiculous...everytime i switch the thing on there are updates then it shuts down and reboots...then you have to wait while it conficues...etc etc...and slowly but surely it is taking longer to load programs...i dont need all the fancy bits that microsaft offers i just want a simple fast computer to run all my old programs for work and access the internet to search for stuff and have my chirp on the forums...it is such a pity i couldnt have just turbo charged my old laptop...which ran fine with windows xp pro...and i could run all my work programs...now i have to use vitual xp to run the porograms.

what have i done wrong...or what do i have to do to speed it up...and is it a good idea to stop the updates?