Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: computer speed

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well my opinion only if I may, Google the relevant OS and follow the instructions to disable Microsoft updated. The only thing you need to update is your antivirus database. Secondly Google System Configuration if your Run command is enabled type in msconfig Find the tab "Services" and see what is running and Google the ones you think is dodgy and disable accordingly. Always do your homework when doing this. There is also a Boot tab again Google is your friend so have a look what you can disable safely.

Also find a good spyware removal program and do a scan… also do a virus scan…

You will find that your computer WILL run faster.

A last tip would be, press the start button go to your "computer" click on it, right click on your hard drive select properties.

Then click on the tools tab. click on "Defragment now" button. Then click on Defragment disk let it run...

If your PC is still slow start uninstalling the programs you don’t use… Also Google the programs you do use and see how to disable there updates. Some programs can be excessive.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Murdock, If you've got an i5 processor and plenty of RAM then any slow running issue will be software related. Laptops are notorious for being pre loaded with enormous amounts of bloated and useless programs that the manufacturers are convinced you might need one day. These slow things down enormously. With a new laptop the first thing I normally do is wipe it completely along with any recovery partitions or hidden partitions and reload just the operating system from scratch.

With updates you should stop automatic updates and do it once a month manually when it suits you. There have been problems in the past with updates that are unstable and cause crashes with the early downloaders so I usually hold off for a while. Also be picky and choosy which updates you install, they're catagorised as critical and non-critical so just worry about the critical ones which are usually retrospectively patching security holes caused by sloppy coding. As a rule of thumb I would never install any Microsoft OS that's not at service pack 2 which is what most companies would call release candidate stage of developement.

Finally if you don't need Windows7 which I assume you have if it's a new machine then you can use your old copy of XP. The laptop will fly with XP (>=SP2) just make sure you can find an XP driver pack for the particular model. You can always use VMWare to run Win7 as well if you want to.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (17-Feb-12)

Suspended
    Thanks
    i am with andy on this one...i beleieve it could have something to do with all the preloaded software...like apparently windows of every version is loaded...i just need a key yo activate it...and i dont know what other junk....i am connected directly to an adsl slow line...it is dissappointing when you spend all that money for the little bigger better and faster and it seems to run at the speed of the old machine...i suppose you want the latest technology...it has to be generated somehow...you cant have a 1100cc you need a V8 or 12

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My notebook is a little Samsung not even an i5. Basically it is half the system you got and it runs like a bat out of hell. I did my homework and found software that is "portable" now some portable software allows you to disable there updates easily.

Secondly I identified what I don't need and continued to uninstall. If you would like go to start right click computer click on properties "do this from your start menu" then click on Advanced system settings.

In the Performance box click on "Settings" then click on the Advanced tab.

Now you will see a box named Process Scheduling… By default it is set on Programs. Now you can change that to Background services and do a test. If successful leave it at that if not change it back.

The second box is your Virtual memory "Normally not good to change stuff here" but why not test it, click on change it. Just Google Virtual memory on win7 do a bit of reading please. Sometimes it can be a bad thing.

Now in your "View basic information about your computer" info block you will see System no look at System Type… if it is 64bit then I recommend boosting your RAM to 8Gb. Depending on where you do the upgrade it is not that expensive anymore. Something to consider… If it is 32bit there is no point in adding RAM…
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12