Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rescission of judgement

Thanks
    Rescission of a judgment by application proceedings in terms of rule 49(8) and how prescription can help

When rescission of judgment is mentioned, many assume that such rescission can only take place when they have paid the judgment creditor in full, obtained a ‘consent to rescind affidavit,’ from the judgment creditor and instruct an attorney to rescind the judgment.

1. Rule 49(8) of the Magistrates Court Rules provides

Where the rescission or variation of a judgment is sought on the ground that it is void ab origine or was obtained by fraud or mistake, the application must be served and filed within one year after the applicant first had knowledge of such voidness, fraud or mistake.

2. Void ab origine simply means not valid from the beginning
    3. Though there are many different scenarios that may play out in terms of this section, I’m going to use an example of extinctive prescription

4. In May 2015, Mr Jones is contacted by an attorney who demands payment on a judgment debt. Mr Jones had no knowledge of this Judgement debt until this point.

5. The facts: In January 2007, Mr Jones did take out a loan with ABC finance, regrettably he lost his job. On 18 February 2012, DEF Inc sues out summons, a return of service is provided by the sheriff, but Mr Jones never received such summons. An application for default judgment is initiated, and default judgment is granted in April 2012.

6. The question of void ab origine and how it applies: Had Mr Jones received a summons on 18 February 2012, he would have entered an appearance, filed a plea on merits as well as a special plea of prescription(This would have destroyed the entire action), as the debt essentially prescribed in January 2010)

7. How does one go about rescinding a judgment under such circumstances?

Motion proceedings on notice to all parties. In your application, you must be able to show clearly that the fact of judgment came to your knowledge within one year of knowledge of this voidness( In this illustration Mr Jones found out that there was a judgment against him in May 2015). You must be able to show that as at the time of judgment, you would have had a valid defense. Mr Jones will be able to show that he had a valid defence.
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    I just found out that I have Judgement against me, I never received a summons and thus did not know about the case and did not go. Apparently it was granted on the 11/11/2011 for monies that I owed. I have tried to contact the lawyers who submitted the case to try found out more details but they no longer exist, I then tried contacting the bank but they told me I have to work through the lawyers, even after I pointed out that the law firm was no longer in operation.

What are my options to have this matter resolved? Can rule 49 help as I was not informed about the case and would have gone had I known?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JacquesPN View Post
    I just found out that I have Judgement against me, I never received a summons and thus did not know about the case and did not go. Apparently it was granted on the 11/11/2011 for monies that I owed. I have tried to contact the lawyers who submitted the case to try found out more details but they no longer exist, I then tried contacting the bank but they told me I have to work through the lawyers, even after I pointed out that the law firm was no longer in operation.

What are my options to have this matter resolved? Can rule 49 help as I was not informed about the case and would have gone had I known?
    It can if you had a valid defence as at the time that judgment was granted
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanash Naick View Post
    It can if you had a valid defence as at the time that judgment was granted
    I am not certain of the validity of my defense as I am not certain if I actually owed this money. At that time I was indebted to ABSA for a loan and over draft, I settled the amount given believing this was for both amounts.

So it could be that I was incorrect and if fact only settled the one amount, or this could be a fault on their side. ABSA says that they do not have the documents and I need to contact the lawyers, but I am unable to trace them down.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234