Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: coc requirements

  1. #1
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,346
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 254 Times in 209 Posts

    coc requirements

    if you get a request to do an inspection report and issue a coc...and you arrive at the property climb the ladder and to your surprise...this is what you find the DB lying on the kitchen cupboard.

    no main switch...
    black smoke in the db from the last explosion...
    just to mention a few items of the 3 page inspection report...




    woooow what do you do?

    isolate the supply in the meter box and tell the customer they need to sort out the electrical installation before you can switch it back on?

    then just to make my day today....i get a call from the new owner a year later indicating that i have to connect the geyser (free of charge) as it was part of the electrical installation...so i crack out the old pics and you wont believe it...there was never a wire connected to the geyser to start with...so what do i do? go back and run a cable install a circuit breaker and an isolator at the geyser? this is gona get interesting.

    heres a pic of the geyser during the inspection report...mmm...black smoke on the geyser and no wires and no water connected

    what now...


  2. #2
    Diamond Member AndyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,403
    Thanks
    513
    Thanked 854 Times in 687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    if you get a request to do an inspection report and issue a coc...and you arrive at the property climb the ladder and to your surprise...this is what you find the DB lying on the kitchen cupboard.
    Lol, I'd be interested to see the earth impedence test results for those circuits with those rusty steel conduits.
    _______________________________________________
    I am special and so is Vanash.
    _______________________________________________

  3. #3
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,346
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 254 Times in 209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Lol, I'd be interested to see the earth impedence test results for those circuits with those rusty steel conduits.
    didnt do any testing...the visual inspection report and photos were enough to convince the customer that a total rewire was required.

  4. #4
    Site Caretaker Dave A's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Durban, South Africa
    Posts
    20,979
    Thanks
    3,055
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 2,067 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    then just to make my day today....i get a call from the new owner a year later indicating that i have to connect the geyser (free of charge) as it was part of the electrical installation...so i crack out the old pics and you wont believe it...there was never a wire connected to the geyser to start with...so what do i do? go back and run a cable install a circuit breaker and an isolator at the geyser? this is gona get interesting.
    Just got to love some of the callbacks in this game. We had one at the end of last week on a COC we issued 5 years ago. The seller acknowledges that it was the tenant that altered and stuffed up the instalation. However, that's not the owner's fault and he's not paying.

    In said owner's opinion, because we issued the last COC we are responsible

    At times like these it can be really hard to be diplomatic
    The trouble with opportunity is it normally comes dressed up as work.

  5. #5
    Gold Member Sparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    826
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 112 Times in 90 Posts
    What is "diplomatic"

    I think your original quote would have specified what circuits would have been installed during the rewire Murdoch. A geyser circuit is convenient but not a legal requirement for all installations.

Similar Threads

  1. What are the Electrical Compliance Certificate Requirements
    By MikeS in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 18-Jun-12, 10:24 PM
  2. building alteration requirements
    By murdock in forum General Chat Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Oct-11, 09:42 PM
  3. Fica just not possible given the requirements
    By Clintonb in forum General Regulatory Compliance Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 21-Oct-11, 07:56 PM
  4. Help with fire detection requirements
    By Sparks in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21-Jun-11, 03:51 PM
  5. UIF requirements?
    By Nomad in forum Labour Relations and Legislation Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-Feb-11, 04:01 PM

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •