Thread: Seeking Brainstorming Partner in Cape Town

Email problem
    Thanks

Seeking Brainstorming Partner in Cape Town

Hi,

I am looking to start a business - problem is that I don't have any idea what the business will actually sell/do. I currently have my fingers in a few pies - partner in 2 small businesses after recently leaving the 'employee' world. Thing is I strongly feel - at least for me - that it would make sense to have someone with whom I can throw around ideas, someone looking for the same thing.

What I would like to see in this potential partner is the following:

- age between 28-45.
    -degree (pref honours). Would be nice if CA (SA) but not essential.
    - has reached senior mngmt or c-level in a corporate or has experience in starting/running own business.

These 3 criteria apply to me, and some will disagree that they are nb, but they are nb to me (rightly or wrongly).

All I want right now is to find someone to brainstorm with, throw around ideas - someone with a real hunger to start their own business. Once I have this, and we both feel we can work well together, that we complement each other, I would plan to choose an industry and dissect its value chain, looking for opportunities to either replace something or improve upon it.

No rush - I am busy with my current company, so I will wait to find the right person.

If the above applies to you, please contact me and maybe we can arrange to meet over a coffee for an informal chat.

Mike

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I get the feeling that you are looking for a mirror image of yourself. I find this extremely interesting because I can't see any value in the partnership whatsoever.

My brother has a BCOM LLB CA & MBA, he spent 30 years in banking and became the MD of a well known bank. He retired from the bank last year. He has partnered with many different little companies including mine, why, because he is a financial wizard but he knows squat about getting his hands dirty. We cross feed ideas and oppertunities and he feeds us business knowhow, the end result is that he makes money by enabling the little guy to run a business. He is a networker who is able to put many different people / skills / needs and resources in contact with one another.

The most important thing that I know about partnerships, be it in business or in marriage is that you don't want somebody who is just like yourself, to the contrary, you want somebody who sees the world from a totally different perspective. Upper management tell upper management what they expect to hear, but of course, the facts on the ground get slaughtered by middle management. I was always amazed by my brothers ability to hold a board meeting but also spend time having a conversation with the cleaner.

Anyway, I suppose that you are looking to start a white collar business where dirty hands have no role....BTW: I have a CA friend who owns 2 restaurants at the V&A. He is pulling his hair out because his qualifications don't help squat when he has to deal with the kitchen staff who steal the meat, break the crockery, sabotage the stove because they don't like the fact that the head chef is Congolese...

Email problem
    Thanks
    I appreciate your thoughts Adrian - I agree with much that you mention, so thanks.

Mike