Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is resignation an escape from prosecution for corruption ?

Bronze Member
    Thanks

How is resignation an escape from prosecution for corruption ?

Can anybody in the legal know explain why it is that more often than not a government official/politician in the process of being "discovered" for impropriety / corruption simply resigns and escapes the net?

Why is it that if Joe Public does something wrong he/she stands to be brought to book regardless of their whereabouts but a government official/politician can commit corruption and get off the hook by "resigning"?

The Terence Nombembe matter is a case in point and if one were to search back I'm certain there are many others.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Apologies, not Terence Nombembe (Auditor General - he's a good guy ?) but rather Enoch Gongondwana.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gac View Post
    Why is it that if Joe Public does something wrong he/she stands to be brought to book regardless of their whereabouts but a government official/politician can commit corruption and get off the hook by "resigning"?
    ...because fraud and corruption is a political passtime!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    JaJa but I'm wondering if there is a legal reason.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes it's friends in the right places, I guess - but sometimes it's expediency.

I recall one in the early days of the SETAs setup. The CEO was caught with finger in pie, and the Board resolved to "pursue the matter vigorously." The CEO concerned defended with equal vigour, and ultimately due to his position he was the only one who knew where the real skeletons were buried.

The money was never recovered. Legal fees ran to 7 figures on the SETA's side alone. There was enough evidence at the "balance of probabilities" level, but not quite enough really damning evidence to satisfy "beyond reasonable doubt."

In cold analysis after the fact, a wiser Board would have recognised from the outset that there was enough to dismiss, but not enough to sue - and wouldn't have thrown good money after bad. It would have been a galling call to make for sure, but...

Sometimes you just have to settle for stopping the rot.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well if he resigns, there is no reason to investigate any further. Case Closed!
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Surely there are criminal and/or civil grounds on which to prosecute in many of the cases?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gac View Post
    Surely there are criminal and/or civil grounds on which to prosecute in many of the cases?
    There is criminal/civil grounds, the problem is proving that the action took place categorically. In many cases the paperwork is a shambles, that the amount of investigative requirements, is far beyond the capability of our local law enforcement, and will create more losses in trying to prove a circumstantial case.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Well 'Enoch' can obviously feel the fingers of the law around his collar because he is already crying sick/bad health/stress/diabetes as the reason he resigned, probably in anticipation of a sentance of jail time.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Oh jeez not another "sick" corrupt official. I may have missed the reports but COSATU seems to be awfully quiet on this matter. Given the allegations involve substantial amounts of union Member funds I would have thought there would have been a riot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast