Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Random earth leakage problem

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillH View Post
    After three or four sparkies on the same problem, with no progress other than outwardly through my bank account, I am amazed at just how incapable these guys have been at even reasonably logical (scientific) fault finding. This is very worrying as it does not say much for the quality of training. They all tell stories about how many times they have been blown off their ladders (equally worrying) but anything beyond basic wiring up of a new installation appears to be beyond them.
    and what is even more scary is when you work on industrial sites where these so called qualified sparkies work...in close proximity...i get nervous...and when you get called out to repair something they break while working..then tell the customer that it must be something i did...well then i just dont play nicely anymore...in fact the last incident...i had set up a meeting with the site engineers and the other company owner...the owner went to site an hour before the meeting and realised that it was in fact his electricians fault...and in fact it was a 5 pin plug and not a 4 pin plug...he was too embarressed to attend the meeting...instead rather got someone else to call and apologise...but here is the joke he is still the prefered contractor on site...regardless of the fact that his staff have been sited for numerous safety violation...need i say more...

Thanks
    So the lights still trip in the garage even though its been rewired?are they new light fittings?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    maybe they should try an insulation resistance tester "megger" before blowing them selves up...
    They do

And it's not that big a blow for crying out loud. Technically it isn't even a contravention of regs as long as the plugs are on earth leakage (and earthing, isolators etc. are all where they should be).

Certainly out of the question on heavy current stuff - but then in those situations nuisance earth leakage tripping doesn't normally come into play anyway.

I don't know how many times it's been the geyser after being left off for a few weeks that's been the culprit.
    And stove plates at coastal holiday flats! Don't get me started on those...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyScott View Post
    So the lights still trip in the garage even though its been rewired?are they new light fittings?
    Yup, installed less than a year ago.

Just had the latest trip. Guest plugging in a MacBook charger!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like something along the lines of Andy's post 15 is looking more and more likely. You've got something (or an accumulation of things) which is producing a steady drip of current to earth and it just takes the smallest of capacitance take-up to push the earth leakage unit to trip.

6. Thanks given for this post:

BillH (07-Jan-12)

Thanks
    So would splitting the circuits in the house over two RCDs help to minimize the frequency of this?

By the way, the RCD tripped this morning when my wife turned on the kitchen lights, which are not connected to the earth leakage circuit!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Does your electrician own an earth leakage tester?
    This would help in checking at what current the ELCB trips at, with loads connected and with out loads connected
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    I have been caught out by earth leakage units on many occasions, the trickiest was a missplaced neutral do yourself a favour and have the neutrals cheched. All circuits on E.L.U. must have the neutrals going through the E.L.U. as well.Also had many multiplug faults. But the majority have been neutral faults,
    Regards
    Mike

Thanks
    Now that says a lot. The fact that the kitchen lights are not supplied from the ELCB yet still cause it to trip can only mean a stolen neutral. You need to disconnect all the neutrals and switch everything on, then 1 by 1 reconnect the neutrals. The guilty circuit is bound to be given away by the ELCB. Not quite sure if I understand correctly but if the garage lights are tripping in the house it could mean that there are 2 circuits to the garage. The "original" garage light & plug circuit which was possibly "replaced/upgraded" with a heavier circuit & sub DB, where the sparky never disconnected the "original" "mixed" circuit. Subsequently there could have been extensions done with the wrong neutral.

What are the chances of you posting photos of the insides of the 2 DB's?
    Last edited by Sparks; 07-Jan-12 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Request

11. Thanks given for this post:

BillH (08-Jan-12)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Now that says a lot. The fact that the kitchen lights are not supplied from the ELCB yet still cause it to trip can only mean a stolen neutral. You need to disconnect all the neutrals and switch everything on, then 1 by 1 reconnect the neutrals. The guilty circuit is bound to be given away by the ELCB. Not quite sure if I understand correctly but if the garage lights are tripping in the house it could mean that there are 2 circuits to the garage. The "original" garage light & plug circuit which was possibly "replaced/upgraded" with a heavier circuit & sub DB, where the sparky never disconnected the "original" "mixed" circuit. Subsequently there could have been extensions done with the wrong neutral.

What are the chances of you posting photos of the insides of the 2 DB's?
    Would you please explain what this stolen neutral issue is please? All the sparkles I have had here have solemnly stated that this could be the problem, but have not been able to do anything about it.

I will take some pictures. I had intended to yesterday but when the sparky got into a panic when he found he did not know how to desire the outbuildings from the house el, and everything started tripping (two ups units got fried during the many off and one) I did not get around to it.

Still no recommendation for a good cape town electrician? Maybe there arn't any?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast