Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: laptop upgrade

Email problem
    Thanks
    HP laptops are some of the very few laptops which come with the latest technology and best features in it. There is always something new in a HP laptop to discover. The company has considered the importance of the hard earned money of their customers that?s the reason they have came up with such a minimal HP laptop price in India. The company has always justified the HP laptop price with the features they provide in their products. Laptops these days has became a very important part of our life, they not only help us in making our work easier but also helps us in spending more time with our family, as we can finish our work fast with their high end features and speed. Paying a bit of amount is not an bad idea if we are getting so much out if it, and once you have a look at the HP laptops price list you will surely think of having one of your own.
    Last edited by Dave A; 27-Mar-12 at 07:49 PM.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Also had to make a change last month. Had enough of infections and spam. Changed to mac OS X and is running parallels desktop with windows 7 installed.
    I am not saying that I won’t have it with mac, but at least I will be in control of allowing a program to run.
    It is an absolute pleasure working with OS X. There is also Coherence which allows you to run your windows apps as mac apps.
    Still early stages, but the transition has been very smooth.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NTS2011 View Post
    There is also Coherence which allows you to run your windows apps as mac apps.
    Haven't personally used OSX with Parallels, much less Coherence. But it sounds a lot similar to Virtual Box's Seamless Windows. I can run a Windows Proggy inside the Win7 VM and have it appear to be a normal Ubuntu window, works the same the other way round - i.e. dual-boot back into Win7, start VB and launch Ubuntu - run the Ubuntu proggy and set the VB environment to Seamless: looks like the Ubunto program is actually a windows program.

It would probably work the same if you were allowed to install OSX on anything but a Bitten fruit though! Perhaps someone knows if VB's Seamless mode works if the host os is OSX: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Screenshots

As for HP laptops, I agree to some extent. If you're into mid-range stuff (i.e. R10k to R20k), their prices aren't much higher than the average (sometimes less). For the more upscale (i.e. you're actually looking for a mobile graphics workstation), you can't beat Rock / Boxx - even Dell/AlienWare falls short of those guys. I haven't got a clue as to the cheapies, they simply won't run my most used programs - so I don't even consider them.

My upgrade Laptop (2 months ago) is a HP Pavilion with i7(2nd gen), Radeon discreet 2GB card and 8GB RAM. Got it for R14k, which was very close to others' price for similar. I must say there are some nifty features which I wouldn't expect: e.g. finger-print login, 4MP webcam, GREAT sound, long 4h battery life, USB3, BD writer. The one which surprised me the most was HP's built-in utility to turn your laptop's WiFi into an Access Point (I know you can do this in Windows through some comand-line hacking, but HP's makes this into a non-Geek tool). The only gripe I have against this laptop: screen res is low, even for the 15" - it's lower than my 7 year old Packard Bell which has finally given the ghost. But when I tried looking for a FullHD screen the prices went up astronomically, especially HP's, FWIW I could have gotten a cheaper Rock if I wanted.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12