Thread: Business Owners - Your take on mobile?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Business Owners - Your take on mobile?

As a fellow business owner as well as a web designer, I would like to know from other small-medium business owners what your views are on all things mobile?

The online trend in the US is rapidly moving towards mobile compatibility. I'm constantly hearing terms such as "Responsive web design" and "fluid width websites" together with predictions along the lines of "20% of all searches in 2012 will be done via mobile devices".

My question to you is do you view "mobile" as something which is of extreme importance in South Africa? We know it's huge overseas. Do you think it is worth redeveloping or adjusting your websites to ensure that they are responsive and can adapt to different devices? For example, our website looks great on a PC and even on a tablet, but when viewed on my Blackberry it looks horrid. To rectify this, we would have to create a different version of our website which is optimized for display on phones. This is something we are going to do anyway, but I would like to know whether you would have it done for your business?

The reason I ask is that I think South Africa may be trending towards mobile even more so than the US. More people have access to smartphones than computers in South Africa. We are looking to introduce a "mobile website" development service in the new year. I'm just trying to gauge whether South African business owners are actually interested in that sort of service or whether we're wasting our time.

Do you have a smartphone or a tablet? Do you use them to Search or find services on the net? Do you expect your customers would attempt to find the products or service that you offer via searching on a mobile device?

Discuss.

2. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (16-Dec-11)