Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Business Owners - Your take on mobile?

Suspended
    Thanks
    Yes mobile is the answer --- even now I am lying in bed on my tablet browsing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    What is the recommended way of making your site mobile friendly. I see mobile data is getting cheaper so first step is a mobi site!
    Actually you don't need a mobi site. In fact I'm starting to think having a seperate website for mobile is not the way to go at all.

The bare minimum (without starting major modifications) is to make sure the site is XHTML compliant and keep image file sizes compact.
    The next option, which is often not too difficult if you're using one of the common CMS packages out there, is to have a mobile skin.

3. Thank given for this post:

IanF (18-Dec-11), tec0 (18-Dec-11)

Thanks
    IanF mentioned a mobi site. Im assuming a new site altogether with a dot mobi domain address. (which i feel may not be necessary.

Dave A say .. a seperate website is not the way to go.

I reckon the best (economical) way to be mobile ready is to have a seperate site altogether that caters for mobile browsers. It should just be a subdomain (ie. m dot yourdomain and it should just have the core stuff that you want to show/tell to you customers. In terms of an online store via mobile it should be a compact version of your shopping cart and it should just pull products that are featured or specials from your main storefront.

The more costly way to be mobile ready is to spend in creating your own iphone or android App.

my 2c.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Did You Know?

35% of South Africans said that they prefer to use the Internet on their smartphone because it’s cheaper than on their desktop or other device.
    62% of smartphone users have used their phones to do a product search
    54% use their smartphones during the shopping process
    26% of smartphone subscribers have changed their minds as a result of gathering information on their smartphones while shopping in-store
    61% of South African smartphone users have used an app

I found this information on Our Mobile Planet which is based on google findings. I agree with ecterra that you just have to put the mobile app on a subdomain, that way you donīt have to have a completely new domain name. You can ensure that a redirect is put in place on your website to ensure that people visiting from any mobile device will automatically be redirected to your mobile site - making it much easier!

While apps can be a bit more expensive, they offer a lot more than just a standard mobile site in that you can include features like loyalty programs or gps coupons integrated into your phones GPS.

Thanks
    If you're not using mobile, or have a mobile friendly phone, you're going to lose out on money.

Don't have a separate .mobi for your website - your losing all the fruit goodness that Google has to offer from your current SEO - install a script that redirects people to the mobile friendly version of your existing website

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12