I'm wondering what it is going to take to get my driver's licence renewed. And I've got a notion that I'm going to have to deal with some motor licence renewals shortly too.

Apparently this new eNaTiS licencing program is causing havoc and there was a quick comment on the news this morning that we should avoid going to licencing centres until the problem is cleared up.

Now I'm pretty sure that no-one goes to these centres on a whim. In fact, we normally have a pretty good reason.

I have a couple of questions:
Nearly a month ago I was told that our local licencing centre was open for emergency applications only. Please define what constitutes an emergency application?

Is it reasonable that renewing a driver's licence should be an all day (and by some accounts a two or more day) experience?

Are any concessions being considered for people that have been caught out by the repeated break-down of this new system?

I'm hearing horror stories of how long it takes to get "processed" at the moment from people who have stuck it out to the end. I wonder how many have just walked away because they don't have the time to sit in queues all day?