Thread: MY PLAYPEN GETTING SMALLER?

Thanks

MY PLAYPEN GETTING SMALLER?

When I first moved to EL in the 70's there was nowhere that after spending the day surfing, fishing and braaing I couldn't curl up in a sleeping bag and spend the night on the beach.
    I'm talking about the more remote beaches not the main beaches in town where the cops would chase you off if you tried to sleep there.

Over the years the coastal areas you could visit after hours got less and less.
    Now the beaches you can visit during the day where you don't have to be hyperalert are few and far between or non existant.

In the past if you and your mates were at a more remote surfing/fishing spot, you locked your car hung the key around your neck and went for a surf, today your car will be broken into while you are in the water or on the rocks because while your back is turned someone is stealing your kit and if you happen to be alone you are a target for a mugging.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The problem is that there is just too many people around. Global warming is not a problem; uncontrolled breeding is.

I used to like driving and have seen every little dorp in South Africa. Now there is just too much traffic. You can't stop for a picnic lunch or breakfast without risking a hijack or mugging. Nothing is sacred any more. Stop to admire the sunset or a point of interest and somebody is sure to come and spoil it for you.

Maybe we should implement the one child policy like China did. Castration is not a bad idea in certain areas
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's also the decline in moral standards.

You used to be able to leave your kit on the beach (let alone in a locked car) and it was left untouched.

Eish!
    All I'm doing is showing my age

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    The problem is that there is just too many people around. Global warming is not a problem; uncontrolled breeding is.
    If only more people would realise this. I sent an email off to a green newspaper asking them why they don't address the real issue, which is overpopulation of the planet. Their reply was that it is too political. If we could reduce population world-wide, we wouldn't need to become greener. Yet everyone tip-toe around the subject.

India is close on China's heels, but even in America there are people that breed uncontrollably, like the Duggars, who have a TV series and she is pregnant with the 21st child or something.
    Sometimes the only transport available is a leap of faith

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    To add to our problems, people now live longer due to modern medicine which can find a cure for most ailments. Unfortunately better healthcare does not address the problem of how to feed everyone and the strain that the multiplying effect has on the environment. It also does not come with birth control.

So by addressing one problem, we are actually creating another. This is what happens when humans interfere with nature.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Yip.
    Sometimes the only transport available is a leap of faith