Thread: LinkedIn - Do you use it?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

LinkedIn - Do you use it?

I would like to find out from the TFSA members whether you are using LinkedIn regularly?

How do you see it in comparison to Facebook and Twitter in terms of marketing your business?

If you use LinkedIn, how (specifically) do you use it? What functions of LinkedIn do you find most valuable?

Until now I haven't made much use of the platform. I do believe that it is rapidly growing as a business tool and can be an invaluable platform to network with like-minded professionals. (Similar to TFSA, actually )

I am definitely going to be making a conscious effort over the next few months to work at my LinkedIn presence and connect with as many like-minded people as possible. Initially my view was that it isn't big enough in SA just yet. That is starting to change, though.

Just this week I picked up a new client with very little effort on my behalf and it was as a direct result of features unique to LinkedIn.

Anyway, let's discuss this topic as I think our members may have varying opinions on the platform.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    LinkedIn certainly seems to be producing results for one of my sales reps. But like so much of social media (including TFSA really) I'm not convinced the time invested vs sales return is particularly efficient. I suggest you really have to factor in what you're learning along the way to justify the time investment it takes to establish a meaningful presence.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    But like so much of social media (including TFSA really) I'm not convinced the time invested vs sales return is particularly efficient.
    I think the difference in LinkedIn comes in that you are marketing yourself as a professional, rather than solely your business. This is true for me anyhow. As opposed to gaining a following or fan base on Twitter or Facebook for your business, with LinkedIn you are creating a network of people who are connected to you rather than your business. In my opinion this is invaluable in the long term, particularly for a young professional.

This is all based on the assumption that people use LinkedIn more to connect on a personal level than through "business pages" per say.

Thanks
    I got linked through a friend of mine and found Norio on there, even then I get the feeling, like on facebook, that they trawl your own email address book and try to match addresses!
    Other than that all I get is emails from linked in telling me my original friend has linked to someone I don't know and links to people from other countries that keep popping up!
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Atkinson View Post
    I think the difference in LinkedIn comes in that you are marketing yourself as a professional, rather than solely your business. In my opinion this is invaluable in the long term, particularly for a young professional.
    Quite right Mark. I got introduced by a friend and see LinkedIn not as a social page such as Facebook, but rather a connection of professional people looking for jobs or opportunities. This is definitely not a sales or marketing tool for your business or products, but a forum for marketing yourself.

I have also joined specific industry groups on LinkedIn where we share information and post threads and blogs of interest to members. I found this to be informative as it is industry specific and to the point.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    here's a link that can help
    http://www.how-to-really-use-linkedin.com/
    download the pdf. book

7. Thanks given for this post:

wynn (23-Nov-11)