I'm in a slight dilemma on how to handle two different potential customers needs, mainly in with regards to time frames....

I quoted on some work, and the quote was accepted. This was about two months ago (the first contact I had was on 2007/02/14, and the quote was delivered shortly after that). Then I was told that contracts were being sorted out. The contract was finally given to me on 2007/03/14.

The contract was quite heavily skewed in the customers favour, so I got some feedback from an attorney and returned the contract with the feedback, as had been discussed with the client. There is another contractor involved, who has been going through pretty much the same process. Then the requested changes needed to be approved....

It is now more than a month later, and there has been no visible movement on this. I was contacted this week by another potential client that I had quoted for quite a while ago, but there were internal issues that resulted in the project being on hold for a while. They would now like to go ahead, which is great, but also presents a bit of a dilemma.

I now sit in a situation were I need to re–quote, which means I should commit to some time frame, but I'm not sure when this other project will materialise. Obviously there could be further delays with either of these projects.

I have contacted the guys who are taking some time to finalise contracts and let them know what the situation is, and that I need to get some idea of when the work will begin, but nothing useful so far. The other contractor is also getting a bit grumpy about the delays.

I would like to be able to do both projects, for the experience and potential future business that it could bring in, but I'm not really prepared to make promises that I won't be able to fulfil.

So what do you reckon the best path is? Quote as if the work will begin soon? Figure out where the fastest money is coming from and satisfy them? Quote as if I am available, and then deal with the impact that that could have on the other project?