i employed a person in 2005 and after about a year and a half he gave notice and left...the same day.

i received an sms from him a bout a year ago with all sort of labour threats like taking me to the bargaining council...ccma etc...i told him to get it in motion and that i would attend any meeting required...never heard from him again for another year..today i ran into him and he made a whole lot of threats again...telling me that i was a crook and had stolen form him and not registered him with uif etc etc ...etc etc in front of crowd.

when he came to work for me he told me he was a qualified electrician...i said great bring your papers and lets see how you work...i told him once he produced certified copies of his qualifications i would give him a letter of appointment...(contract)...he couldnt provide me with the papers but instead came with a matiric certificate and some ntc 3 qualification....i got suspicious when all the dates and the borders where the same....

i requested the originals but he never provided me with them...i then spoke to eca about him because i needed to find out at what level to pay him and register him...as he could not provide papers for any grade other than...matric and ntc 3...which he insists is equal to a qualified electrician...i decided to pay him as an elconop 2...until we sorted out these issues...work got busy...time went by and after 1 and half years...work got quiet and i had numerous issues with him damaging private property...ducking off work during working hours and lying to me that he was in the toilet...complaints from custoemers about his behaviour....to cut a long story short i put him on short time for a week at a time...then one day he came in and gave me a month notice...i told him that i had no letter of appointment and that he could leave immediately...which he did.

i would like to do the right thing...anyone have any advise as to how i can sort out this issue...that both him and i can walk away without feeling like the other person has been done in..

what would be the correct and fair way to finalise this dispute.