Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital tv in sa. Prepared to pay R700 for a decoder?

Thanks

Digital tv in sa. Prepared to pay R700 for a decoder?

So the govenment expects everyone to cough up R700 next year for decoders so that we can receive higher quality television. Kinda mad nuts when you think about it. R700 is a lot of money for most people. what are your thoughts regarding the matter? We did a short write up regarding the whole thing here...

http://www.jarrod.co.za/blog/?p=9230#more-9230

anybody have more info?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynisty View Post
    So the govenment expects everyone to cough up R700 next year for decoders so that we can receive higher quality television. Kinda mad nuts when you think about it.
    Why?

There's been no fuss about people having to pay for their TV sets. What's the problem with there being a charge for a converter.
    What do you want? The decoder to be given away for free?

Thanks
    Do I have a choice? will I still be able to watch TV1,2,3,E without this decoder?

Or is this the HD converter for older TV's you are talking about?

At that price it would be cheaper to just buy a new HD TV, or what?
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It has something to do with collecting license fees. You do not pay, you are shut off, and they no longer send out inspectors to check for the License. Makes more sense, as I do not watch any of those channels but am obliged to pay the TV license.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Why?
    There's been no fuss about people having to pay for their TV sets. What's the problem with there being a charge for a converter. What do you want? The decoder to be given away for free?
    I just know someone is going to rip me a new one.... The man has a point, R700 for a decoder doesn't sound like much but take into consideration we have the right to "free" information and that I think is more the problem here.

If something needs a decoder or the like it is no longer considered "Free" That is why I had a problem with a TV license, simply because I have the right to be informed it shouldn't be a privilege.

If this is the kind of decoder that will actually encrypt the signal it may pose a problem.

I am not saying give away free equipment, I am thinking more along the lines keep the old signals going regardless.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    I just know someone is going to rip me a new one.... The man has a point, R700 for a decoder doesn't sound like much but take into consideration we have the right to "free" information and that I think is more the problem here.

If something needs a decoder or the like it is no longer considered "Free" That is why I had a problem with a TV license, simply because I have the right to be informed it shouldn't be a privilege.

If this is the kind of decoder that will actually encrypt the signal it may pose a problem.

I am not saying give away free equipment, I am thinking more along the lines keep the old signals going regardless.
    SABC TV is not free, it is subsidized by the TV license. The problem is that more than half the people who watch the local TV, do not contribute to SABC TV by paying their TV license. I am quite happy not to have SABC TV along with not having to pay a TV license, so effectively I will not need a decoder.

I have this hassle that every time I wish to buy a TV or MNauseas decoder, (My choiceto do this), I must produce my TV license, even if I never switch to SABC to watch, I am obliged to pay the TV license. Having this decoder clears that. I don't buy a decoder there for I do not have to pay S'ANC' TV license.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    If you need a set-top decoder to watch SABC TV them hopefully the TV License will apply to the decoder and no longer the actual television set. Obviously once it goes digital you won't be able to receive it with just a TV set so the link between the TV set and the license would fall away.

Thanks

R700

R700 is certainly a lot to pay. A lot of families dont have that kinda money. In fact i think most wont. I'm not convinced that many people will jump to buy a decoder... but my concern is that the govenment might force everyone to get a decoder... how else will the sabc make any money? I can't think of anyone who is saying yes to the decoder because most people think the sabc is crappy. So if people are all saying no then how will they make any money except to force everyone to get one?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It is for that reason that I think that the TV license will endure. I think the decoder is second earner of cash but TV license will always be the primary earner. They will never take it away. Regardless of the fact that it is unconstitutional. After all we have the right to information. Yet we pay for it or get dragged to court and or get blacklisted...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Mmmm. This means my TV card in the PC will also not work on digital. So now what do I do? Buy a new card?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast