Thread: Vodacom #EpicFail

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Vodacom #EpicFail

I am sure there is more to come... (My Android just looks sooooooo good right now )

Vodacom announced that they will throttle the speed of BlackBerry Internet Service subscribers using more than 100MB per month. Internet users are not happy

Summary: Vodacom’s decision to throttle the speed of BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) users who exceed 100MB of usage per month is slated online

Vodacom surprised South African cellular users today (12 September 2011) when they announced that they will throttle the speed (from 3G to 2G) of subscribers who use more than 100MB of data per month through the BlackBerry Internet Service.

Vodacom explained that 95% of BlackBerry data usage was attributable to less than 5% of users, and that they decided to implement measures that will ensure that Blackberry users will enjoy a better browsing experience overall.

Vodacom said that steps have been taken to ensure that the 95% of the BlackBerry users who are currently using the service fairly are not impacted by “those who are abusing the service”.

The feedback from Internet users about Vodacom’s decision was not kind. “What nonsense! How does using ~4MB/day constitute abuse? It’s 2011 for goodness sake!” said one commentator on MyBroadband.

Other comments included “I think Vodacom is looking to give the business away… this is just criminal”, “Anybody know how to translate FAIL in 11 South African languages?” and “Lovely, milking the poor cow even drier. Typical Vodacom”.

Twitter comments followed the same trend. These comments included “Dear @BlackBerry , @Vodacom Just Stuffed You Up” from @RomeoBeatsSA and “to everyone with a blackberry. vodacom has just bent you over like dropping the soap in a prison shower,” from well known Naspers Marketing Technologist Rafiq Phillips (@rafiq).

Numerous Vodacom BlackBerry users have also threatened to leave the cellular provider because of their new BIS usage policy.

One of the main concerns highlighted by users was that they were not aware of facilities which allowed them to check their monthly BlackBerry data usage.

Vodacom was asked for comment about their decision to throttle high end BlackBerry users, but the company did not respond by the time of publication.
    Source: MyBroadband.co.za

Email problem
    Thanks
    Ouch. I moved away from Vodacom ages ago. 100% ripoff with their rates, and now this!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My own Vodacom cellphone contract is up for renewal/upgrade/whatever at the moment. It's been a bit irritating.

#EpicFail 1
    First to call was a company I've never had any dealings with, trying to get me to renew my contract via them. Got my details of the Vodacom database apparently.

#EpicFail 2
    Then there's been a succession of calls from one number over the past week, but whenever I answered it, the call disconnected. I was beginning to think it was one of those stalking deals, except the person was a twit and hadn't set their phone not to broadcast the number they were calling from.

But as it turns out it was Vodacom. This afternoon, when I answered the phone (despite seeing that it was from this "stalker" number), after a couple of seconds delay someone spoke. Someone from Vodacom wanting to renew my contract.

It seems what Vodacom is using is one of those auto-dial programs, and when/if the phone is answered, then it quickly connects to an operator on their side. I guess all those previous disconnects is because when I answered, the program realised it didn't have an operator available to put my call through to.

(I've had a similar experience with calls from overseas, except they tend to play a recording saying "please hold while we connect you to your caller." Hard to say which is more irritating, really).

Anyhow, I digress... Here's the interesting tie-up (apart from this being yet another Vodacom #EpicFail).

#EpicFail 3
    So I ask the operator what deal he is offering. He suggests a Blackberry because I'll save money.

You see, if I get a Blackberry, I won't need my data bundle because of the Blackberry BIS that comes with it. And yes, I can use the Blackberry as a modem.

This afternoon - about 3.00pm. I kid you not.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I think its been all good for a while because we had the low end bbs in SA now that we getting the high end models with 3G the concept is not working so well.

Out of interest i pay R49 for 100mb of data on my android phone... Makes you think hey...

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Sorry cant find the edit button on my mobile version hence 2nd post.

The low end models that we had until recently only did gprs to my knowledge...

Thanks
    thank God i left vodacom! feel really good about my decision all of a sudden